Chapter 35

"Take my keys, go to my office. The drawer on the left has a pack of toothbrushes, grab one. I'll meet you at the bathroom closest to the roof. I'll bring up a test." He says softly. She nods obediently and he lets a breath of shaky air follow after her. Meredith's hair glided in the wind, it would rain soon but she was so beautiful. A thousand times the last time he had seen her.

"I don't want to lose you." He whispers through his tears.
"You won't lose me, I will always be yours." She nods as he wipes her tears off her cheeks, a futile attempt for himself.
"This isn't fair. We can still run." He protests.
"Promise you'll find me." She asks, clutching his cheeks.
"I will find you. I promise." He whispers shakily, pressing his forehead to hers. The train whistles and he shakes his head in denial. She jumps into his arms and he squeezes her tightly. As they pull away, he pushes his lips into her as she whimpers. The train starts to move and he pulls away, staring at her. She was wearing his sweater and his ring. Her hair was starting to pick up in the air and he holds her hand, his fingers numb from her grip. He runs behind it, keeping up with the train. She is leaning out of it and he feels his hand slipping. He can barely see past his blurry vision anymore but he keeps sprinting, desperate to stay with her.

"I love you." She says softly, the words echoing in his ears.
It picks up the pace and Derek's hand feels cold without her but he reaches out farther. The train gets farther and farther away and he jogs to a stop, panting as he watches the large machine take her away from him. It's as if her words make it simpler but he shakes his head as he leans against a pillar breathlessly.

He walks into the supply closet and grabs a pregnancy test before sliding it in his pocket and walking up to the bathroom. He knocks on the door and she opens it before letting him in and locking it.

"Don't listen." She sighs before disappearing behind a stall.
He covers his ears pointlessly, his heart thumping is the only thing he can hear anyways but he sees her leave and place the stick on the counter before washing her hands.

"It's a minute right?" He asks.
"Mhm." She replies quietly, leaning against and wall as he walks back and forth, rubbing the back of his neck.
"Do you not want children?" She asks.
"I didn't say that. I love kids." He snaps.
"Sorry." She mumbles quietly.

He turns to the stick and sighs heavily before stepping back. She stares at the single line, unsure of how to feel. He pulls her in and she gasps as his strong arms wrap her body, lifting her. She awkwardly pats his shoulders as he sets her back down and moves to kiss her but she pushes him away.

"You're not pregnant!" He chuckles and leans down before getting the same response. She watches him in confusion before tossing the stick in the garbage and washing her hands again.
"We're still going out... right?" He asks.
"What would you have done if I was pregnant?" She asks.
"I... I don't know." He starts.
"That's your answer." She replies.

"Mer, please." He calls, pulling her back.
"This was a mistake. We're not the same people anymore." She shakes her head and he places a hand on her cheek, completely dumbfounded on what to say. She brings her hand to his on her cheek before caressing it. This mouth is open, trying to find the words to say to her.

"It's not a mistake. I still feel the same about you... since high school." He says hesitantly, his breath getting less steady.
"In high school, we were the same. Now, something is stopping you." She explains, pulling his hand off her cheek.

He watches miserably as she steps back and leaves the bathroom. He couldn't tell her about Addison, it would be catastrophic to their relationship or friendship. Whatever they were now. He sighs and walks down the stairs and into an on-call room before laying down and yawning.

"Wake up!" She giggles, making him open his eyes and chuckle.
"Good Morning to you too." He smirks, leaning in and kissing her lips softly as she rolls on top of him.
"I want food." She whines as she nuzzles her nose to his jaw.
"Mhm, okay. Eggs?" He chuckles.
"Yeah." She replies, rolling off him.

He flips himself over and plunged his lips into hers while pulling her closer to him, her body arching off the bed and moving deeper into his arms.
"You'll get your eggs." He says, pulling away and getting out of the bed before walking out of her room.

He opened his eyes, already half expecting that she would be laying beside him. Staying still, he stares at the wall, thinking hard about her. Was there still a chance that he could be her friend? He sighs and walks out of the room and into the tunnels before getting minty gum and a chocolate bar. He yawns as he leans against the bricks and takes a bite from the bar and tastes the sweet chocolate.

She watches him from afar, his ebony hair thick and his stance relaxing and interpretive. He chews for a bit and glances around before walking her way and she sighs.

"I can't explain it." He says as he hands her the chocolate bar. "I don't know how to. But, I do want you." He continues as he sits beside her and gently brushes his fingers over hers. "I've spent too much time looking for you, to just... leave us alone now. I miss the people we used to be. And, I would appreciate it if you could give me another chance." He says.

"Der-" She starts.
"Don't say anything. I'll be at your house at eight o'clock tomorrow night. You can choose to let me in or not." He says softly, getting up and walking away.