33 || Answer Me

[Nova]
»I think I should leave.« is my only answer, not giving in, not lying neither, and I slowly lay down the knife in front of me on the table. 

Peter, by now, looks like having seen a ghost. He probably did not expect Mister Stark to let Natasha toy with his life like that, and I did not, either. If it has not been for my training, Peter would see the world from above, now.

Pushing the chair backwards, I know exactly how to stand up without the Shuriken hidden in my high waist jeans below the hoodie cutting deeply into my flesh. 

But I do not expect Steve's determination and stubbornness. He moves to the door faster than I, and now crosses his arms in front of it instead of next to the mirror on the wall. »You're not going anywhere. Answer it.« His jaw is clenched, his body built huge. I guess I hit a nerve by using him, and he does not mind I actually have been a help in their recent mission.

I knew she would come out. I knew she could do it. Deep down, I always knew she was far stronger than I.

And it feels so good to finally share that strength again. That confidence. That knowledge. That intellect. How could I resist this? It is like turning into a greater version of myself, my senses flicking into a far advanced variant than they already were like a button was pushed inside.

And the load that falls of my shoulders. The load I kept carrying for two years. For nothing.

She would come back eventually. I knew it.

»And if I don't?« Putting my chin high, grinning as seductively as my voice, I, too, cross my arms. The hoodie does not feel as comfortable anymore as I am used to, but probably is for the reason of me being used to wear things much tighter.

»Well, you know«, Tony says, and when I do not move, and he is sure I will not take away my stare from the Super Soldier, he continues. »We have plenty of time. It's Saturday. Your ex-girlfriend is probably raging in cause of her loss, and needs to get her crew together again.«

I do not mind to answer or correct him, or react in the slightest. My eyes still battle Steve's. I stand right in his front, and even if he is one or two inches taller than James, I will not let myself be seen small next to him. Because I am not. I could make him harmless within seconds, and he would not even stand a chance. »Move.«

»I won't.« the blonde hisses back between pressed teeth, bending down a little further. Not knowing the danger. How can he? I am excellent in hiding, and the few videos of Tony's are nothing that portrayed the real talents of mine.

I chuckle, a little too devilishly. But what is the point? They know anyways by now, so why not giving them a little show?. »Not a very good soldier, then. I must've been played.«

He clenches his teeth even more, but does not move a centimetre. »If anyone, then it is you that played me.«

»I was a help nonetheless.« My voice gets even seductive, directly playing on what Steve wanted me to be first. His lover. I step closer to him, and although he is not happy about it, and even less about me recognizing, I see his pupils widen in the slightest. Still not over me, interesting. Something I could play against him if time needed.

I would never betray or cheat on James, never. I just learned to take everything there is for my advantage. I cannot risk James to get in danger just because I was stupid enough to take the internship, and now that people know, make him a victim for forcing me to anything they want. 

It clicks in that moment.

James is probably the reason I did not try to kill anyone of them, yet. Somehow, he holds back the rage. Somehow, he is with me. In my heart, as cheesy as it sounds. Holding onto the good.