CHAPTER 49

Ashwin was the first to wake up. Shivangi was sleeping on his chest and was holding his shirt in her sleep. He searched for his phone and her's came to his hand. It was 9am and he knew everyone at home would be up.

"Hello amma." He whispered as he called Binni ma.

"Hello come down and eat. Why are you whispering?" She whispers back.

"She is sleeping. On me." He adds as an after thought only to receive laughter at the other end. "Maa." He whispers again.

"Sorry sorry. Wake her up and come." She replies.

"But she is sleeping." He argues.

"Unless you are ok staying hungry till lunch at 1 wake her up."

"Paavam ma ava."

"Apo ezhupama nagathi paduka vechutu va. Byee." She cuts the call.

"Ma ma maaaa." He calls into the phone. "Aiyo pasikudhe. Seri ivala nagathuvom." He slowly moves her off him making her whine and complain in sleep. "Ashwineey esss ayidu." He runs downstairs to fill his growling stomach.

"Amma good morning." He announces entering the kitchen and kissing Binni ma on the cheeks completely having forgotten the relatives.

"Good morning. Coffee indha. 2 mins dosa will be ready for you." Binni ma replies.

He turns smiling coffee in hand only to be met by a glaring aunt. "I..I..ma maa." He squeaks.

"Achu, Krishna called you. Out from here." Binni ma giving him a reason to leave.

"Binni, he slept in her room." Her aunt sighs.

"Yes he did."

"Don't you see the problem?"

"Actually no." Binni ma answers looking up at her for the first time. "Last night was horrible for Shivu. When you have a horrible day who do you want by you? Anna? I definitely need Krishna with me."

"That's different. They are our husbands. We obviously will look for them."

"No. We look for them and find comfort in them because we love them. How is it any different with Shivu and Achu? Cause they don't have a certificate validating their relationship?"

"These are filmy talks. Sound good only on the screens. Media la irundhhu your vision is clouded."

"No anni. Na media la iruka nala I can tell more people my views and people will hear me out. I'm not saying one shouldn't get married. Just that relationships don't work like that. Love is more important than a ritual."

"We have to agree to disagree."

"As long as your disagreement stays within you." Binni ma smiles.

"Do they know?"

"His parents? Ya. They love our Shivu. Actually Devi was the one to calm Shivu initially, call up Ashwin."

"What happened yesterday?"

"Nejama solatuma? Enaku exact reason theriyadhu. Nethiku neengalum anna vum sonna sila vishayam avala hurt panithu. She must have spiralled from there. That's our guess. If she wants to she'll tell us."

"Epdi ivalo cool a iruka?"

"Its because I know she isnt alone. She has help facing whatever is troubling her. Adhu Pugazh a irukum, illa Rakshan, namba Vinu or Ashwin. One of them always know. She might have told them or they would have found out. She's never alone. If she wants help she asks. Avulku avala pathaka theriyum. Avala suthi irukaravanga lum pathu panga so I'm cool."

"Im happy as long as things work out."

The duo walk out with food and call everyone. Ashwin was sitting on the edge of his seat, gripping his cup. Kk and his brother were chatting with occasional glares at Aswin from the latter followed by smiles from the former.

"Can you sing?" Aunt asks trying to get to know the boy.

"No. Amma and appa are very interested in carnatic music. Amma sometimes sings."

"Every family needs an Aurangzeb." Uncle laughs getting few nervous chuckles from Ashwin.

'Should I be sad he called me Aurangzeb or happy he called me family?' Ashwin wonders.

"Amma, chutney super." He breaks the silence.

"Thank you. Devi recipe dhan." Binni ma thanks. 

"Ashwin give paati this oats and wake Shivu up." Kk pa tells him once they finish eating.

"Come down after that. I'll try teaching you how to sing and you can give me few recipes." Her uncle adds.

Ashwin nods like a madman and runs to paati's room. Giving her the oats and a quick hug he wakes up Shivu much to her irritation and runs back to her uncle.

"I'll get my phone." He excuses and runs back to Shivu's room making all four chuckle.

"I can't believe it's the same guy from last night. Kozhanda, nalla paiyan mari dhan irukan." Her uncle comments and her aunt agrees.