Chapter 41 - Don't Fear the Sun

I am not afraid of storms for I am learning how to sail my ship.

- Louisa May Alcott

Song: Snowman - Sia

"I meant what I said," Azriel murmured as they approached Tamlin's estate. "If he doesn't mind his manners I will feed the brute his own fucking tongue."

"If this is how protective you are now, I can't imagine what you would be like if I accepted the bond," Gwyn snorted.

Azriel's tone was offended and earnest. "I can restrain myself."

"You told me that Rhysand beat Cassian bloody after he and Feyre accepted. Are you also telling me you have better restraint than the High Lord of the Night Court?" asked Gwyn with a skeptical grin.

Azriel flushed. "No... I'm just as restrained."

"I don't believe that for a minute."

"Look, I already admitted that if we accepted that I would likely need ample time away from... society." He set his jaw. "But I do have some self control."

"Whatever you say, Shadowsinger."

The closer they got to the estate, the nearer Azriel's shadows clung to Gwyn. When it finally came into view, someone appeared to be tearing violently at the front of the manor.

It was Tamlin. And he was making an effort to remove the greenery that clung to the front of his home.

Gwyn also noted that the hedges appeared to be trimmed. "He knew we were coming, but I don't think he's doing this spring cleaning for us..."

"No, I don't think so either," Azriel muttered. A shadow lapped at Azriel's neck and his lips twitched. "It's surprisingly for no one but himself, I believe."

"Oh? Did they tell you that?" she asked, gesturing to the dancing shadows.

"Not in so many words, but there's a peace about what he's doing and whether I want to admit it or not, the swine is trying to fix things it appears." He cast a sideways glance at Gwyn. "Maybe it has to do with the way an angry Valkyrie handed him his own ass last time we were here."

"Yes, I did give him quite the scolding, didn't I?" Gwyn grinned, lifting her chin.

"It was very attractive."

Gwyn gaped at Azriel. "What?"

"I will not repeat myself..." He cut her another look. "Don't play nice. Be the female you left him as. He can earn a second chance from you, but you will not hand it over."

Gwyn swallowed and bobbed her head as they closed in on the manor. She stacked her spine and held her chin high. The shadows that brushed the tops of her leather clad shoulders danced to her breath and behind her, she saw Azriel's wings extend just enough so that they covered Gwyn's back protectively.

They closed the distance between them and Tamlin as a unit. Gwyn a burning candle and Azriel, the steadfast shadow her flame cast.

Tamlin yanked another heap of ivy off the front of the house, then discarded it in a pile of vines. When he faced Gwyn and Azriel, she noticed his face was covered in a fine sheen of sweat and for a High Lord to sweat he must've been at this for some time.

"I trust we don't need to exchange pleasantries?" Tamlin said, running a hand through his roughly shorn hair. "I received your High Lord's missive. I'm to be housing seven of you by the end of the week, along with whatever reinforcements are gathered."

Azriel opened his mouth but it was Gwyn who spoke first. "Correct."

"And you both are to be training with these..." Tamlin made a vague gesture at Gwyn, "new powers."