Chapter 58 - Don't You Fret

When sorrows come, they come not single spies, but in battalions.

- William Shakespeare

Song: Kingdom Come - The Civil Wars

It wasn't until Gwyn's bonds had been cut that she felt the full effects of the faebane.

Her body was heavy and the magic that had thrummed in her veins hours ago was a hollow buzzing. She'd even needed a little help from Graysen's men to step up and into the back of the covered travel wagon, where she was chained to a bench. She was too tired and too numb to panic. All she could do was stare at the garland of roses marked on her forearm, peeking out from beneath her sleeve. The markings that matched Elain's.

And speak of the devil - Elain, with the gentle assistance of one of Graysen's men, was led into the back of the wagon. She sat on the bench across from Gwyn. The guard shut the panel doors and the wagon set off with a jerk. Elain and Gwyn's only company were crates upon crates of faebane.

The first two hours they sat in complete silence. Outside they could hear the gentle plodding of the caravan of horses and the wheels of other wagons turning - the occasional raucous laughter of one of the guards.

Graysen had truly assembled a militia.

Maybe they didn't have more numbers than Rhysand, Feyre, and Tamlin but faebane tipped the odds in their favor... They had all their weapons coated in it.

Then they had pellets made of faebane. Incendiary devices filled with faebane. And those barbed nets and arrows despite not having ash-wood could do serious damage - they had enough of those for double the reinforcements that Rhysand had called in.

But most deadly, they had Elain. Feeding them their opponent's every move.

Gwyn's eyes shifted from the bargain mark to Elain. Instantly she felt her temper simmer. "I'm surprised you're still able to use your magic surrounded by so much faebane..."

Elain stared down at the hands folded in her lap. "Graysen takes great care to ensure I am not touched by it." Her eyes hardened. "That I am not harmed in any way."

Gwyn heard the unspoken words in Elain's tone. Unlike the fae.

In truth, she had been wronged by the fae in so many ways. Kidnapped by them. Turned into one of them against her will. Given a mate who played a part in her abduction. Involved in a war between them that killed her father. Again and again and again the fae had been associated with the worst moments in Elain's life. And while that didn't justify her betrayal, Gwyn did feel sympathy for her.

"It's a little strange that your lord doesn't have you travel with him, but instead seats you with one of the fae he so greatly despises," Gwyn remarked softly. "You're sure that he has truly moved past your becoming fae?"

Elain locked eyes with Gwyn, her expression unreadable. "I'm the best choice to keep an eye on you."

"Did Graysen say that?"

Elain stiffened in her seat, refusing to answer. Gwyn felt a small amount of triumph, but stifled the smug smile that threatened to spread on her lips.

"I tried, you know?" Elain said. Gwyn noted the way she stared out the back of the wagon, her eyes distant. "I came to Graysen's estate with the intention of visiting Lucien, but then I ran into Jurian. He told me that Lucien and Vassa were traveling, trying to find a way to break her curse. He gave me a room for the night though, so I could rest before I made my way home." Elain's throat worked a swallow. "And then I met Graysen as I was leaving. He offered to walk me to the border... and he apologized. He admitted he made a mistake." A faint smile. "He said that he wished he could go back and change what he had said... So, I let him. Everyone deserves a second chance."