39- Pay the Dues

"Say what?" ani Cole. Hindi maipinta ang mukha nito dahil sa gulat.

"We thought you're dead. You have a mausoleum in Hellville. Nandoon pa nga ang mga pangalan ninyo. Maging kay Otillie Simmons," ani Linus.

Nalukot ang mukha ni Gregory Bloodworth. Binaha iyun ng sakit pero hindi ito nagsalita.

"Do we look like we're dead, child?" tanong ni Ciro Horton.

Hindi sumagot si Linus.

"Ang totoo n'yan, Desmond kidnapped us and imprisoned us in the Holy Mountain," si Draven Brigham na nagkwento.

"That is so hard to believe. You're like the most powerful Purebloods and Otillie was the strongest witch in Hellville. Paano kayo na-kidnap ni Desmond Harfeld?" kunut-noong tanong ni Cole. Skeptical pa yata ito.

"Our strength was useless against more than half of the witches in our city. They were powerful too. And they outnumbered us," ani Draven Brigham.

"They weakened us and once we were inside the cave, they gave us just enough blood to sustain us," dagdag ni Ciro.

"And they didn't give us enough mortal food either. Otillie grew weaker and weaker until she starved to death," tiim-bagang na segunda ni Gregory.

Nanlaki ang mga mata nina Linus at Cole.

"Otillie was with you?" ani Linus.

"Hence, the four gods," ani Fenris.

"The Grand Knights, all of them, forced us to take care of Narguille. We protected it from natural calamities, we extracted treacherous plans from the minds of those who planned to betray the Order. All in exchange for a small amount of sustenance," dagdag kwento ni Gregory.

"If you think that you can take him down, think again. He's a very powerful witch. This one right now, he's the most evil one. We had encountered a lot of Grand Knights in a span of almost three centuries. The present one is the most dangerous."

Nagkatinginan sina Fenris at Linus dahil sa sinabi ni Draven Brigham. Hindi makapaniwala ang dalaga na idol na idol niya dati ang Grand Knight.

"The current Grand Knight is consumed by greed. He's not satisfied with the power he has now. He wants more. He wants Narguille to be the best in the world," dagdag pa ni Ciro Horton.

"Pero lalaban kayo, hindi ba? You will fight alongside us, right?" hopeful na tanong ni Fenris. "After all, mukhang kalaban din naman ninyo ang Order."

She prayed to the unknown that they wouldn't abandon them. These three Purebloods would be of great help.

"You saw what I did. I'm all over the place. I'm a mess," naiiling na sagot ni Gregory at agad na binaha ng pagkabahala ang dibdib ng dalaga.

"But you have to fight the Grand Knight. Ilang daang taon kayong ikinulong sa kwebang 'yun. The Order treated you like animals. Mr. Horton, Mr. Brigham, ano'ng kasalanan ninyo kay Desmond Harfeld? Sina Otillie Simmons at Gregory Bloodworth ang may kasalanan pero pati kayong dalawa ay nadamay!" Fenris screamed but she could barely hear herself. She was desperate. She didn't even notice how Gregory flinched and curled up in guilt.

"Fenris, tama na," hinawakan ni Linus ang kanyang balikat pero pumiksi ang dalaga.

"Hindi ba unfair para sa inyong dalawa at sa mga mahal n'yo sa buhay? They thought you were dead while you rot in that cave! All because of someone else's fault! All because someone else gave in to temptation!"

"Fenris! That's enough!"

Saka lang tila bumalik sa sarili ang dalaga nang maramdaman ang pagyugyog ni Linus sa kanyang mga balikat. Ang talas ng mga tingin nito sa kanya at kita niya ang pamumula ng mukha nito.