Chapter 6

KEVIN's POV
I walked downstairs with Avi and called the others to come over at 7:00 pm for dinner and and a surprise. Avi and I were making dinner when I said, "I think Kyra has an eating disorder."
"She did look really skinny," Avi said, letting it sink in.
"I don't know how to ask her," I said, "I can't just ask her flat out."
"I guess you could," Avi said, "You could go upstairs and sit down with her and just ask her as a caring parent."
I thought about what he said, "I will, but probably tomorrow. Today has been stressful enough for her."
"You're right. Just watch her at dinner and see if she doesn't eat much. Do you want me to watch too?" Avi said.
"Yeah," I said, "Just don't be to Avi-ous about it."
"Haha. Very funny," Avi said sarcastically, "Maybe we should tell Mitch. He would understand."
And right on que, the queen himself walked in along with Scott, Kirstie, and Jeremy.
"The Queen has arrived," Mitch announced as he walked in the house.
"Where is our surprise?" Asked Kirstie.
"One minute," I said, "Everyone sit down and I will go and get the surprise."
I walked up to Kyra's room and knocked on the door. And as if she had been standing there waiting she opened the door.
"Hi, Dad!" She said.
"Were you waiting for me?" I asked, a little startled.
"Yeah," she said, "I saw two cars pull up and I saw Scott, Kirstie, Jeremy, and The Queen get out, so I knew it was a matter of time before you had me come down."
"Well let's go!" I said, probably the most excited that I have been in a while.
Kyra and I walked downstairs and into the kitchen. Everyone was so deep in conversation, that they didn't notice us for a while, until I finally cleared by throat. Kyra was standing behind me so no one could see her.
"What's the surprise?" Scott asked anxiously.
I signaled for Kyra to step out from behind me. Everyone's jaws dropped. They just stared for a minute in silence.
"Is that your new girlfriend, Kev?" Jeremy asked, half-serious.
"No, guys this is Kyra, my adopted daughter."
Everyone was shocked. Mitch finally broke the silence, "Hi! I'm Mitch."
"Hello, Queen!" Kyra said with a giggle.
"She knows us?" Scott asked.
"Yep," Kyra said, "You guys actually helped me get through my life at the orphanage and being kicked out of 17 foster homes." Then all of the sudden she started crying into my jacket. I held her tight and comforted her.
"Shhh," I said, "It's okay."
After about 5 minutes, I had gotten her calmed down.
"Let's eat," Avi said. So all of us sat down and started eating. Everyone was so busy bombarding Kyra with questions, that I didn't even notice that Kyra hadn't touched her food. Avi glanced at me. He noticed too.
"Hey Kyra, are you going to eat your food?" Avi asked.
Kyra took a nervous glance at her food, "Yeah. I was just talking." she said. I could tell that she was lying, but I didn't want to call her out. I just sat there and watched her poke at her food.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
KYRA's POV
I didn't want to make Kevin and Avi feel bad, but I was allergic to the food that we were eating. I could see Kevin watching me, so I took a couple of bites. After about a minute, I couldn't breathe. My tongue was swelling up and hives were forming on my hands. I went upstairs to grab my Epi-Pen. No one really noticed me, except for Kevin.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
KEVIN's POV
Kyra ran upstairs. I had no clue what was going on, but I didn't want to invade her privacy. I was going to talk with her tomorrow. She came down about five minutes later and she looked okay.
"Kyra," I asked, "Is everything alright?"
"Yeah," she replied, "I was just... fixing my hair."
"Okay," I said as I went to grab dessert. Kyra didn't eat any of that either.