Chapter 32

KEVIN's POV
Our plane had just reached the point where the pilot let us use our electronics. I powered my phone back on to check and see if I had any texts from Kyra, but instead I saw a bunch of missed calls from Mitch. I decided to call him back, not knowing if it was against the rules.
"OH MY GOSH KEVIN! THANK GOODNESS YOU ANSWERED!" Mitch yelled on the other end of the phone.
"What's up?" I asked, but was immediately stopped when I heard sirens in the background, "Please tell me those aren't for Kyra!" I said, almost yelling. I got a glare from the flight attendant, but I didn't care.
"Kev," Mitch said, "I'm so sorry."
"WHAT HAPPENED?" I screamed.
"She had an allergic reaction to Starbucks and she didn't have her Epi-Pen," Mitch said, "Kirstie is getting in the ambulance with her now."
"Is she gonna be all right?" I asked, scared.
"Kev," Mitch said, sadly, "I honestly don't know."
And that's when I lost it.
KIRSTIE's POV
I hopped into the ambulance that had arrived 2 minutes before. Mitch and Scott decided that it would be best for me to go in case she woke up and was confused.
The ambulance ride was chaotic. The EMTs were frantically rushing to get all of the right medications in her and see which ingredient in the drink triggered the reaction.
They finally figured out which ingredient it was and gave her the right medicine. Just then, we pulled up to the hospital. I got out of the ambulance and watched the EMTs rush Kyra into the ER. I knew that I wouldn't be allowed back there, so I waited for Scott and Mitch to get there.
After me waiting outside of the ER for 5 minutes, they pulled up. We sat in the waiting room, crying and praying together.
After about an hour, we got a call from Kevin.
"Hey," he said, exhaustedly, "How's Kyra?"
"We don't know," I said, "She's in the ER and we are in the waiting room."
"Okay," he said, exhaling very heavily, "Well, Avi is exchanging our tickets for coming back tomorrow to today."
"That's good," I said, trying to sound optimistic for Kevin's sake.
"Yeah," he said, sounding defeated, "I've got to go. We just got tickets for a flight that boards in 10 minutes."
"Okay," I said, "See you soon."
"Yeah," he said and hung up the phone.
I was worried about him. He was a strong guy, but it tore him apart when something was wrong with Kyra.
"Family of Kyra Olusola," a nurse said. Mitch, Scott, and I stood up and walked over to her.
"Is she okay?" Scott asked.
"Well," the nurse said, "She is in a coma and we have no definite way of telling what her condition is."
And that's when I lost it. I fell on the ground, curled up in a ball and cried. Scott and Mitch both knelt down and hugged me.
"You can go in and visit her if you want," the nurse said.
Scott helped me up and we walked into the hospital room where Kyra was.
I walked in and saw Kyra. Her body was so limp. She looked so lifeless. I turned around and buried my face in Mitch's shoulder.
"I can't stand to see her like this," I cried.
"Me either," he said, "But we need to be in there for her."
"I know," I said, making my way into the hospital room.
Scott walked in and stopped in his tracks. A single tear dropped from his eye, then he ran over to the bed.
"Kyra!" He cried, "Wake up!"
I had never seen him so sad and I don't think I ever will.
"Scott," Mitch said, walking over to him, "She's going to be okay. Come and sit down."
"No," Scott said, "What if she's not going to be okay?"
"She will be," Mitch said, "I promise."
~3 hours later~
Kyra hadn't shown any signs of improvement, but we got a call from Avi.
"Hey," he said, sadly, as if he had just been crying, "We just landed and got off the plane."
"Okay," I said, "How's Kev holding up?"
"Not good," Avi said, "He's sitting on the floor of baggage claim, crying."
"Poor guy," I said.
"How's Kyra?" Avi asked, "Any news?"
"Sh-she's in a coma," I said, starting to cry, "They can't tell anything much."
"Should I tell Kev?" He asked.
"Yeah," I said, "That's what I would do."
Then I heard Avi tell Kevin the news and Kevin crying.