Chapter 39

ESTHER's POV
I awoke to gunshots and glass breaking! I opened my eyes to see Avi pulling me onto the floor and telling me to stay down. Last thing I remembered, we had just gotten Kyra home and we all fell asleep on the couch. I looked around and realized that she wasn't in the living room anymore.
I heard a high-pitched scream from upstairs and started to run up. Kirstie must've heard, too because she was following me.
We dodged bullets as we sprinted to the stairs.
We ran up the stairs and into Kyra's room, but we didn't see her.
I looked all over and realized that the closet door was open a crack. Kyra always closed her closet door.
"Kirst, here!" I shouted over the gunshots. We both ran over to the closet.
We opened it to find Kyra sitting in there with her knees pulled up to her chest.
"Kyra," I said, kneeling down to her, "Are you okay?"
"This is all my fault," she said.
"What is?" Kirstie asked.
"The gunshots," Kyra said, frantically crying into her knees, "It's all just like last time."
"Last time?" Kirstie and I asked, simultaneously.
"When the DCFS found out that my abusive foster father had been abusing me, they took me to a new home. My last foster father was mad about that, so he found my house and started shooting at it.
We called the police, but he got away before they got there."
"So that's who you were kidnapped by?" I asked.
"Yes," she said, finally looking into my eyes.
Her eyes were puffy and red, but there was something else about them. They were filled with exhaustion and worry. The usual blue glow was gone and they were a dull, lifeless gray. There was no energetic sparkle and they were just... eyes.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
MITCH's POV
I was at Kev and Avi's, but I couldn't sleep. I decided to scroll through some pictures on my phone. I was looking at pictures from a couple years ago when I came across a picture of me and Travis.
I was going to delete it when I heard gunshots and glass breaking.
I looked up and saw bullet holes in the window. I was paralyzed in fear. Next thing I know, Scott is pushing me to the floor and telling me to hide behind a chair.
I quickly obeyed and ducked behind the recliner.
I saw Kirstie and Esther run upstairs. I was about to follow them when I heard Scott scream.
I looked at him and saw blood pouring out of his foot.
He was lying on the ground beside the recliner, so I quickly pulled him back behind it with me.
I saw a tissue box on the end table beside the recliner. My hand shot up there and I grabbed a wad of tissues to stop the bleeding in Scott's foot.
A few minutes later, we had stopped the bleeding and the gunshots had stopped. Kev and Avi were coming over to help Scott get up when I heard his voice. Travis.
"Hello, my love," he said. I quickly turned around. He was pointing a gun to my head.
"Travis," I almost growled.
Just then, Kyra, Esther, and Kirstie came down the stairs.
"No, no, no, no," Kyra said hiding behind Esther, "Don't hurt me, please."
"Wait," I said, "You were Kyra's foster father?"
"Yes," Travis said, in a menacing voice.
"It all makes sense now," I said, "The screaming that you always blamed on the neighbors, the scratches on your face, the beer bottles."
"Now that Mr. Detective has figured that out," Travis said, "You have to make a choice. I take you or the girl."
"Mitch, let me go!" Kyra yelled, "I don't want to let you get hurt."
"Kyra!" I said, "I'm not letting you go back there."
"If you can't get it figured out," Travis said, impatiently, "I'll just take both of you."
He started to walk towards Kyra when he was jumped on by Kevin, Avi, and Scott.
Kyra grabbed the phone and called 911 while I got the gun out of Travis's hand and pointed it at him.
"You wouldn't shoot me, Mitchell," Travis said.
I held the gun, knowing he was right, but I still pointed the gun at him.
A few minutes later the police showed up. Scott, Avi, and Kevin got off of Travis as the police handcuffed him.
I watched the man I used to love being dragged into a police car. He glared at me right before the door was closed.
I closed the curtains of Kev and Avi's nonexistent windows.
Kevin was talking to an insurance guy, and everyone else was talking to detectives. I had already talked to a detective, so I was kind of off the hook. I didn't know where Kyra was, so I decided to search for her.
I was walking past Kevin's room when I heard short, fast sobs. I quickly walked in and found Kyra sitting on the floor and shaking.
"Kyra," I said, "It's okay. He's gone now."
"I had no idea that he was Travis!" She said, "I just don't want you to get hurt like I did."
And that's when I started crying. I held her on my lap until her sobs had quieted. I looked down at her and found that she had cried herself to sleep. I held her there on Kevin's floor and I fell asleep, too.
~~~~~~~~~~~
I know, I know! I'm the worst author ever! I'm sorry for not updating in forever! I don't want to make excuses, but I've been SUPER busy lately!
Shoutout to sarahkerkemeyer because she nagged me everyday this week (in the best way <3) and she is the reason that this chapter is posted!
Thanks for reading, and PM me some ideas for the next chapter or comment them right there -->
I love you guys so much!
-Madalyn
P.S. HAPPY BIRTHDAY KEVIN!!!!!