Chapter 11

AVI's POV
Today I stayed home with Kyra. It's been about a week since she was diagnosed with pneumonia and she is feeling a lot better. Today I was sitting in her room with her when I decided to ask her a question that I have been wondering about for a while. "Hey, Kyra?"
"Yeah?" She said closing her MacBook.
"If you don't want to answer this, it's fine. I was just wondering what happened to your parents?" Kyra started crying hysterically. I tried to calm her down, but she wouldn't stop after about 5 minutes, I texted Kevin.
(Bold-Avi, Italic-Kevin)
I was asking Kyra a question and it was very emotional for her. She has been crying for 5 minutes straight.
Dude, I'm on my way home! What did you ask her?!?!
I asked her what happened to her parents...
You are in BIG TROUBLE!!!!! I will be home in 5 minutes. Is the front door unlocked?
Ya! C u then.
"Hun, your dad is on his way home," I told Kyra. She didn't respond to me because she was to busy sobbing into her pillow. Next thing I know, Kevin is running into the room and lying next to Kyra.
"Shhhhhh," he comforted her, "It's okay."
"I don't want to think about my parents right now," Kyra said in between sobs.
"It's okay," Kevin said, "You don't have to do anything that you don't want to."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
KYRA's POV
When Avi brought up my parents I couldn't hold in my emotions anymore. Avi should've known not to ask me that with everything I've gone through this week. I've only been in my new house for a week and a half and I've spent most of it either crying or in bed. My new family probably thinks that I am too much work.
I was so glad that Dad came home to calm me down, or I don't know what would have happened. Once I was calmed down, Dad was talking to Avi downstairs. They were pretty loud, so I listened to them.
"I CAN'T BELIEVE YOU ASKED MY DAUGHTER THAT WITHOUT MY PERMISSION!" Dad yelled at Avi.
"I DIDN'T KNOW THAT I HAD TO ASK YOUR PERMISSION TO TALK TO YOUR DAUGHTER!" Avi yelled back.
"YOU COULD HAVE JUST ASKED ME TO TALK TO HER ABOUT IT! SHE HAS ONLY LIVED HERE FOR A WEEK! WE NEED TO GIVE HER SOME TIME BEFORE WE ASK HER THINGS LIKE THIS!" Dad yelled back.
"I THOUGHT WE KNEW HER WELL ENOUGH TO---" Avi said.
"STOP IT!" I yelled as I walked downstairs.
"Ky, you should be in bed," Dad said.
"I'm better now," I assured him, "Just Stop fighting about me! The subject of my parents is very touchy for me, so I'll tell you guys when I am ready. I have been very emotional lately because I haven't adjusted to everything yet and I am a teenage girl. Now, I'm hungry. Can we eat something. I'm in the mood for Nigerian."
So, Dad made me some Nigerian food for lunch. Avi and Dad made up and I felt like a family again.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SCOTT's POV
Even though Kyra wasn't sick anymore, Kevin still thought that it was best to keep her at home. Kevin had to run some errands, but he didn't want Kyra home alone. I volunteered to stay home with her because I hadn't really gotten to know her yet.
"Hey," I said as she woke up, "Your dad had to run some errands, so he asked if I wanted to come watch you."
"I'm hungry," she said.
"Just your luck," I said, "because I got you Starbucks without any of your allergens in it."
"Scott..." she said
"Yeah?" I replied.
"I have a confession to make," she said guiltily.
"You know you can tell me anything," I said as I sat next to her.
"I-I-I've never had Starbucks. You and Mitch always talk about it on Superfruit, but I never had enough money to get it," she sounded like she thought that she had committed a crime.
"Well," I said, getting up, "You should come drink it then. C'mon." I helped her out of bed, and that's when I realized how skinny she was. They must've not fed her at all at the orphanage.
"You want a piggy back ride downstairs?" I asked.
"That sounds fun!" She said as she hopped onto my back. She was so light, I would've thought I was carrying an empty backpack. When we got downstairs, I grabbed her drink out of the fridge and sat her down at the counter.
"One gluten-free, nonfat, with whip, mocha Frappucccino," I said in my best Starbucks barista voice.
"Thank you," she said, giggling at my barista impression, "OH. MY. GOSH. SCOTT, THIS IS AMAZING. THANK YOU!" She ran and gave me a hug.
We finished breakfast and went upstairs, so Kyra could pick her clothes. That's when I realized how I had never noticed how skinny she was. Most of her clothes were sweats or baggy. I must have been looking at the clothes for a while, because Kyra finally said something, "Everything okay, Scott?"
"Come sit down with me," I said pointing at the bed.
"Yeah," she looked at me nervously.
"Why are all of your clothes baggy?" I asked, "Are you self-conscious?"
She started crying, "Can I tell you something that I have never told anyone?" She asked.
"Of course," I said.
"You can't tell anyone, not even Dad. Do you promise?" Kyra said.
"I promise," I said and I meant it.
"At school, I was bullied for being too skinny. People would call me nasty names and they would beat me up," she pulled her shirt up enough for me to see her stomach. There were bruises all over, "The bruises take weeks to heal because of how skinny I am."
"When was the last time this happened?" I asked, in shock.
"The day before Dad adopted me." Kyra said, "I never was without bruises because they would always beat me up again before they healed. I would always wear sweat pants and a sweatshirt for PE so people wouldn't see how skinny I really was."
"How did you do PE without eating?" I asked.
"Sometimes I would pass out. I tried stay really well hydrated during PE. I was always really dizzy. Sometimes, I would ask if I could go to the bathroom, but I would just splash my face with water and sit down until I could go back out and start running or doing whatever we were doing that day," she said, obviously letting a huge weight off her shoulders.
"Come here," I said pulling her onto my lap. She sat there, crying into my shoulder for 5 minutes and after she stopped crying, she just sat there for a while. I held her and hugged her. I left a note for Mitch because he was sleeping when I left. I told him that he could come over if he wanted to. I was hugging Kyra when I saw Mitch taking a picture of us. I gave him a look and he went downstairs.
After holding Kyra for a couple of minutes she went to her closet and picked out a tank top and shorts. "Should I wear this?" She asked.
"Looks awesome!" I said, "I'll be waiting in the hall." I said. I sat down in the hallway while she got ready. After about 5 minutes, she walked out with her hair in a sock bun and a cute little bow in the back of it.
She spun around and gave a model pose. "Good?" She asked.
I realized that her bruises on her stomach were showing. I pulled her shirt down a little bit. She knew exactly what I was doing.
"Thanks!" She said.
"My lips are sealed," I said putting a finger up to my mouth.
"Our lips are sealed," she sang.
"You sing?!?!" I asked, surprised at how good she was.
"Yeah," she said blushing.
"You sound great!" I said.
"Thank you!" She said.
"Let's go downstairs," I said. She skipped down the stairs with a newfound energy, probably from Starbucks. She skipped into the kitchen.
"Hi!" Mitch said, scaring Kyra horribly. Kyra screamed and ran to my arms.
"Scott," she cried, "Someone is in there."
"It's okay, Ky! It's just Mitch." I said putting her down.
"Sorry..." she said to Mitch and I.
"It's okay," Mitch said, "I brought over some sidewalk chalk. I thought that we could have fun with that!"
"You want to do that?" I asked Kyra.
"Of course!" Kyra said grabbing the chalk and running out the front door.
Mitch and I ran after her pushing each other out of the way, laughing the whole time. Kyra was already drawing the PTX logo when we got outside.
We were outside for 2 1/2 hours drawing with chalk. By the time we were done, the whole driveway and walkway was covered in chalk drawings. After we were done, we went inside and watched SpongeBob on Netflix.
When Kevin got home, we said our goodbyes and went home. That night at 12:30 am I got a text from Kyra.
(Italics-Kyra, Bold-Scott)
Remember, don't tell anyone!
Cost you to keep me quiet ;) Jk! Luv ya!
Nice reference! Luv ya 2, Scooter!