Chapter 27

KYRA's POV
I get out of bed after a sleepless night. I don't want to get up, but I can't go to sleep. I walk into the bathroom and start getting ready. I didn't sleep at all last night. I just couldn't. I take a shower. I am almost too tired to even move. I finished getting ready, putting on extra under my eyes.
"Hey," I said, sleepily, to Kirstie as I walked into my room.
"Hi!" She said, "Did you sleep at all last night? I heard you up a lot."
"I got like 30 minutes of sleep," I said, "I think I'm going to make some coffee. Want some?"
"I'll have some!" She said, "I meet you downstairs when I am done getting ready!"
"Okay," I said as I walked downstairs. I didn't plan on telling Dad about not being able to sleep last night.
I drank 3 cups of coffee, but I was still exhausted. I don't like being exhausted because if get super grumpy and snappy.
I was starting to make myself breakfast when I heard someone coming downstairs. "Hey sweetie!" Dad said as he walked into the kitchen and gave me a kiss on the forehead.
"Hi," I said, trying not to sound exhausted and grumpy. It didn't work.
"What's the matter?" Dad asked.
"Nothing," I mumbled.
"I asked you what's the matter?" He said, "I don't think you were being honest.
"And I said nothing!" I snapped.
"Kyra Hope Olusola!" Dad scolded, "You are not allowed to talk to me like that! Why are you angry?"
"I don't want to tell you!" I said.
"I asked you and I am your father! Just answer my question!"
"NO!" I yelled.
"LISTEN!" Dad yelled, "I DON'T LIKE TO YELL, BUT YOU RE BEING RUDE! TELL ME WHAT IS GOING ON OR YOU ARE GOING TO BE IN BIG TROUBLE!"
I ran to my room, passing Kirstie and Avi (who were both listening to the conversation through the door) on my way up. I threw my phone, Epi-Pen, and some other things in a backpack and snuck past the kitchen. I heard Kirstie scolding Dad, but I didn't even care. I snuck outside and got on my bike.
I didn't know where to go on my bike. I could only think of one place.
Scott and Mitch's apartment.
I rode my bike peacefully down the street. It was about 5 miles away from my house, but I am a fast bike rider. After about 20 minutes, I get to their house. It was only 8:00, so I doubted that they are up.
I locked my bike up on the bike rack and walked up to the apartment. I knocked on the door. I stood there for about a minute with no answer. I rang the doorbell, then I heard heavy, tired, footsteps by the door. Scott opens the door. He goes from looking like a zombie to looking fully awake and surprised.
"Kyra, what are you doing here? Is Kev here too?"
"No," I said, looking down at my feet, "We got into a fight and I couldn't think of anywhere else to go. Is it okay if I come in?"
"Oh my gosh! Yes. Of course. Sit down on the couch. Did you have breakfast yet?" Scott said, worriedly.
"No, just coffee," I said.
"I'll go get Mitch, then we can talk, okay?" Scott asked.
"Yeah," I said, "Thanks."
I sat on the couch, just staring at my feet. I heard Scott and Mitch whispering in the hall, but I was too wrapped up in my thoughts to even hear what they were saying.
Finally, Mitch and Scott came and sat on either side of me. They both leaned in and hugged me.
"So what all happened?" Mitch asked pulling away from the hug.
"I only got 30 minutes of sleep last night, so today I was really snappy. I didn't want Dad to feel bad for me, so I didn't tell him. When I didn't tell him why I was grumpy, he got mad at me and I snapped. When I snapped, he started yelling at me, so I ran to my room, grabbed a bag with my stuff in it, and left."
They stared at me. I didn't know what to do, so I just cried. Scott held me while Mitch shushed me.
I finally stopped crying and Scott looked at me. "Why did you came here? Why didn't you go to your boyfriend's house or to the park?"
"I trust you guys," I said.
Mitch gave me a kiss on the forehead. He and Scott made some breakfast for me and we just hung out for the rest of the day.
I ended up spending the night at their house because Dad never called. He probably didn't want me.
I slept on the floor of Mitch's bedroom because I didn't want to be in the guest room at the other end of the house if I had a nightmare. Mitch told me goodnight and I fell asleep, realizing how exhausted I really was.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
KEVIN's POV
As soon as Kyra stormed out of the kitchen Kirstie stormed in. "Kev!" She scolded, "Why did you just yell at her?"
"She was being rude and snappy, so I was disciplining her!" I said, using the same tone.
"Did you have to be that extreme? For all you knew, she could have been on her period!"
"Was she?" I asked, concerned.
"No, but she only got 30 minutes of sleep last night! You need to take things like that into consideration before you blow up at someone!" Kirstie said.
"Crap," I said to myself, "She probably hates me now. I should go talk to her."
"No," Kirstie said, "Give her some space."
"Okay," I said, "As long as we are doing nothing, I might as well go get Starbucks. What do you guys want?"
They gave me their orders and I went to go pick them up. I picked up a drink for Kyra, just in case she wanted it.
I brought the drinks home and put Ky's in the fridge. For the rest of the day we just hung out like nothing was wrong, but it wasn't the same without Kyra. Everything was felt so empty. We watched movies until 3 am. Kirstie finally went up to Kyra's room to go to sleep. Avi and I were cleaning up when we heard Kirstie scream. We both ran up to Kyra's room.
"She's not here," Kirstie cried. I looked into the room and it was the same that it was this morning. I collapsed to the floor. Kirstie and Avi tried to talk to me, but I couldn't hear them over the sound of my own sobs.
I finally calmed down. "What should we do?" I asked, my brain wasn't working straight.
"I've called her 10 times," Kirstie said, "But she hasn't answered."
"Call Noah," Avi suggested, "Maybe she's at his house."
Kirstie called Noah. She hung up and shook her head. "She's not there."
"Where else could she be?" Avi asked.
"Could she be at Scott and Mitch's place?" Kirstie asked.
"It wouldn't hurt to try," I said, doubting that she was there.
Kirstie called Scott. I was expecting her expression to darken, but instead she started smiling. She hung up with Scott excitedly. "She is over there right now!" Kirstie said.
"Well, let's go get her then," I said, starting to head towards the door.
"No," Kirstie said, "Scott said that she was super upset and that we should give her some space."
"But she's my daught-"
"No," Avi bellowed, "Listen to Scott. We will go get her tomorrow."
I sighed, "Fine." I said goodnight to the two of them and I went to bed, even though I knew that I wouldn't be able to sleep.