chapter six

My car – well, my mom's car – is parked next to Clay's now.

I pulled up only a minute ago, now trying to pick up all the stuff from the back. All the drinks and snacks I bought today, including Clay's and Kara's presents are actually way too much to carry in one run, but I try just not to acknowledge that at all and try it anyways.

It would be a lot easier if Kara was here to help me, but she didn't answer my message, where I told her I could pick her up to drive to Clay's now, for our party.

I guess she will just join a bit later. I mean, she has never been the best with being on time.

So I guess I just have to carry it all alone.

"Fuck", I mumble as I try to balance the big bag with drinks to the door, ringing the bell (didn't know how I handled that) and now wait for the door to open.

Why does he always take that fucking long to open a door?!

Finally, I hear a sound – the door squeaking.

"Heyoo, ready to get totally wasteeeee.... eeelllo!"

I was speaking to early. I expected Clay to open the door. Not his mom. Fuck.

I stand there, staring at her, knowing exactly that she knew what I was about to say.

She knows that I am not twenty-one yet. But she also knows, I've been drunk before.

The pretty woman, who looks a lot like her son, just smiles at me a bit weirdly, but then starts grinning.

"Hey sweetie, long time no see. How are you?", she asks me and grabs some of the stuff I piled up in the bags to help me.

I gladly accept the help and enter the house, which, according to Clay, we actually should have for ourselves – without parents or anyone else.

"I'm good thank you!", I answer the woman who has known me since ever. Even though, Clay hasn't been friends with Kara and me for that long, we knew each other's families at least. I always adored her.

She puts down the stuff she picked up from me and I follow her action with the rest of it. We put in on the kitchen counter, even though Clay, Kara and I will probably celebrate in another room. But for now, it's good.

"We were just heading out", Clay's mom tells me. "My husband and I are going to a play and the kids are at her aunts."

"Oh, I see", I say, revering to her dress I just now noticed. A purple one with glitter and a beautiful necklace – it must be some fancy shit they're going to. "You look beautiful!"

"Oh, thank you, sweetie. You also look beautiful", she smiles and looks at my outfit.

It's not as pretty as hers of course, but I really tried for once to look presentable. I chose to go for a black skirt and a cute dark-red top. I even put on some mascara, which is the best I can do, concerning makeup. I even tried do something with my hair, which in the end miserably failed, so I just curled it a bit.

"Thanks", I say smiling.

Clay's mom picks up a purse, then turns to me again. "I'm so sorry that we can't talk any longer, but we really have to move."

"It's no problem, really", I say, smiling at her.

The woman winks at me, then turns and starts yelling. "CLAY WE'RE LEAVING! AND YOUR DATE IS HERE!"

I stare at her. "I- We are not...", I stumble, trying to explain to her, that I am in fact not dating her son. Shouldn't she know that?

She turns to me again – grinning.