chapter thirty-one

When I'm coming downstairs after the shower I quickly took, I'm just blessed that Nick isn't there at that moment. Or maybe I'm not blessed, and Nick just wanted to avoid my presence as well.

How can I have weird encounters with this guy every day now?!

Still, I'm just happy that I can escape him for a moment – even though I know that we can't avoid each other forever... I just hope there isn't a talk necessary.

I really feel like eating something, but I then decide to go with just coffee – like I would make the situation better with that, because it means I wouldn't have lied about the fact that I'm not hungry before to Nick.

However, I still decide to stay in the kitchen to drink my coffee and try to distract myself by scrolling a bit through social media – plus I can let my hair dry at the same time. I found my pleasure with Twitter some time ago and now could spend hours on that platform... and that's exactly what I'm doing. Not hours maybe, but at least some time.

Only when I finally finished my coffee (which Nick by the way still made for me after our encounter) I decide that I can't escape reality any longer.

I'm still carful as I go upstairs, really hoping that I don't bump into Nick again, but I get spared and can enter Clay's room without any circumstances.

I just opened the door as I see him sitting in front of his setup – headset on as he's talking into his mic.

I don't know why – but my body doesn't allow me to go any further and so I stand there and lean against the doorframe, watching Clay as he doesn't seem to have seen me.

"Okay, you'll just send me the script Wilbur and I'll go over it real quick and make some adaptions", Clay says, talking towards his screen.

There is a pause and I guess the other guy is talking, but I can't hear him. But then Clay answers again. "No, that's fine", he chuckles. "Yeah, we can do that... Is next week okay? I can't really this weekend."

Silence again. "Yeah, great, thanks", Clay then speaks again. "Okay, talk to you soon."

I see him move his mouse, clicking it, only then I allow myself to talk.

"Was that one of your Minecraft friends?", I ask, giggling a bit.

Clay turns, seeming kind of surprised that I'm there at the doorframe, but smiles as he sees me. He then brings up his hand to his collarbone, scratching it. "Well, yeah", he explains. "One of the British ones, you know."

Yeah, he knows that I only can differentiate these two parts – I have no clue who exactly he works with.

I now come closer, finally leaving the door. "Yeah, I figured... from the name", I say. I pause shortly, but then need to ask. "Did you say you're occupied this weekend because of me?", I grin, kind of hoping that Clay would blush because of that. He doesn't.

"Yeah, of course", he says, smiling at me.

Oh... why did I expect him to joke?

"I know what I'm saying now is destroying what I just said", Clay keeps going, now chuckling. "But we kind of need to record something for Nick now – I hope that's fine with you."

That actually makes me feel better – I wouldn't like that Clay puts off work only because I'm here. "No, that's great", I answer. "I've got something to do for college anyways, so it's fine."

"Okay, good."

I go over to my suitcase, which is still only laying on the ground, because there would be no real reason to unpack everything for just a few days. I grab a notebook and my laptop, then struggle a bit with its charger. I already hear Clay typing on his keyboard as I talk again.