A Bit Of Fatherly Love

A frustrated Goku stares daggers into his mate, usually used to his tough style of parenting until he hears a heartbroken Trunks sobbing his poor heart out in his bedroom. Although he is trying his hardest to suppress his cries, these walls can hear the smallest of sounds.

"What?" Vegeta snarls. Like he didn't know. Goku only inhales deeply but it is enough to put his prince on notice.

"Go talk to your son. I know you hear him." A fiesty roll of the eyes is all Goku gets as a reply and it is almost followed by him stomping off to avoid this entire thing. It's halted as the taller full-blood grips him in his arms.

"I'm not playing with you. He's done nothing but try to get your attention and make you proud and all you have done is brush him aside as if he was a common housefly. You will go talk to him. I'm not asking. Understand?"

The smaller man shudders uncontrollably and if Goku wasn't so distraught at Trunks' current state of mind, he'd put his lover in his place even further.

"I didn't hear you answer me, Vegeta. Do you understand me?" A reluctant nod comes from the prince and with that, he is in front of his son's door knocking tenderly.

"Pl-please whoever it is, go away." Vegeta cringes outwardly at the grief-stricken tone coming from the other side of the door.

Maybe his mate had a point...

'Don't I always? And when have you ever knocked on his bedroom door? You're stalling. Don't try it right now, prince. Chop. Chop.'

Oh. Fuck....

Twisting the handle, he's rather surprised to see it opens with ease. Normally, his son always had his door locked. Another bad sign.

"Get out!" There his son sits, eyes bloodshot and runny.

"Trunks..."

What is he to say? He wasn't with this emotional touchy-feely nonsense. "Here to belittle me again, Father?" He mutters angrily, roughly rubbing his eyes free from tears. The proud prince sits down across from his devastated son, no invitation given.

The purple half-breed shuffles away from his father, bringing his knees up to his chest and not making eye contact with him.

"Would you please just get out? I'm set to be gone in the morning and I want to be left alone. You're the last person I want to talk to."

Honestly, that's exactly what he wanted to do. To leave and not have to deal with these... Earthling feelings.  So he does, bracing himself to prepare for his mate. But something stops him dead in his tracks.

"What did Mom ever see in you?" Swiftly, he turns on his heel and storms back to where Trunks is.

"The same thing you do." Vegeta fumes. At this, Trunks stares up in shock. He wasn't expecting that response.

"She saw a man scarred beyond belief yet still fell in love with me. I never promised your mother the stars. But... I love her. And you-"

"Spare me." He hisses, fresh tears rolling down swollen cheeks.

"Just because I don't love you the way you would like to be loved, does not mean I don't care at all."

He scoffs audibly at his stubborn father's logic. "So because your way of love is twisted, I'm supposed to accept it?" Now hovering over him, Trunks' chin is tilted up.

"That isn't what I said. I cannot give you what I never received. I'm not like that. Just know that in my own 'twisted' way, I care about you." Vegeta ruffles his hair and this causes Trunks to break down completely. Vegeta steps away, walking out of his son's bedroom and departing with one final sentence of adoration over his shoulder.

"I'm... proud of the man that you have become. You're going to do great things. Never forget that."