Holidays

"W-what are you doing?" I stammer, trying to figure out what strange object is in Kakarot's hand. It's long and red with black sticks poking out the top. And here this idiot was trying to set fire to it.

"I heard that." Kaka smiles with a slight eye roll. "C'mere. It'll be easier to show than tell."

I hesistate for a second but then I take his outstretched hand and join him on the soft grass. I lean into his burly naked chest, my eyes never leaving this dynamite wannabe..

"Okay, so here on Earth, we have a holiday called New Years."

New Years? He had informed me throughly about the importance of birthdays, Halloween, anniversaries such as the day we mated, Christmas. But this is a new one. "New Years happens a couple days after Christmas."

"And why did you tell me about one holiday and not the other when they are mere days apart?"

"Hush. On New Years, it's traditional to see fireworks or light firecrackers."

"That's what the Godawful looking thing is?"

Kakarot grins at me.

"Yes." He takes a stick and drags along the dynamite wannabe. Sparks immediately shoot out of the top, soaring towards the sky in a dramatic fashion. All I can do is look in awe.

"Pretty, isn't it?" He asks but I don't think he was talking about the lights. "Yes.."

"One might even say breathtaking." He whispers close to the shell of my ear. I forget how to breathe as he pulls away, repeating the firecracker action. How does he affect me like that and then acts so cool and casual afterwards?

"I-i guess so." I stutter. He holds me near him like he's afraid I'll be whisked away at any moment. "It's almost time." Time?

"Time for what?"

"It's 11:59. Usually to bring in the new year you count the seconds between 11:59 and 12:00. When it reaches 12:00, you say 'Happy New Year!'"

"Sounds corny."

"Of course you'd think so. But humor me yeah?"

I smirk and let him count down by himself until he reaches ten. And then we do it together.

"Ten, nine, eight, seven, six, five, four, three, two, one! Happy New Year!" After almost blowing my eardrum out, he places a chaste kiss on my lips. "I love you." He murmurs as more fireworks dance across the sky.

As romantic as that was, I still thought it was corny.