After The Day Is Over

I wipe away the blood that's smeared on your lips away. I kiss you gently.. You're holding back tears again. Holding back your pain.

You see me staring at your defeated expression with one of my own. You don't want pity. I know. So I try hard to not show any. I try to tell you that I understand. That it's okay.

And it is.

But you won't let me hold you at night lately.

I know why.

And you hide from me. A lot. A place I call your safe place. You spend hours, sometimes a full day there. I don't dare to follow you there, but I am curious. One day I'll see it.

There are some nights that I overpower you and hold you tight, so tight that you can't help but choke up on your sobs.

So tight that I try to mend all your broken pieces back together. You cry until you're gasping for air and blinded by your own tears.

There are so many things that I want you to confide in me on.

But I wait.. I wait patiently. Is it bad that I counted? Two months, four days.. You told me you wanted me to see all of you. The true you.

So do you know what he did?

He showed me his safe place. It was nothing like I expected.

It's out in the woods, a tent is all that's here. But it makes him feel nice, so who am I to judge?

"Why'd you bring me here? You never have before." I had asked. He had his back to me then swiftly turned around, the corners of his eyes brimming with tears.

"I brought you here to thank you." He had paused.

"You're the first person to see it. I trust you because you've trusted me. You loved me enough to stay with me even though I put you through so much. I guess I thought it was unfair that I had seen you at your worst and best and you never hid from me. But that's all I did when things got rough. And so.. I brought you here. For you to see the rough edges I like to hide."

I think I'm close to tears now as I bring him into my arms, kissing the side of his face.

"I'm so proud of you, sweetheart. So very proud. I love you so much." We stayed there the entire night. Before long, he had fallen alseep in my arms, head on my chest.

"Don't leave." I heard him mumble.

"Heh. Where am I going to go?"