A18. My Mate (TulMax)

Max's pov:

"..... What?" I muttered unbelieving as I looked at my father who was standing in front of me.

"You're going to marry Luma. The ceremony is going to be 2 weeks from now." He repeated.

"Dad! She's not my mate! Why should I marry here?! You know Tul is my mate!" I yelled.

I can't believe this is happening right now.

Marry someone i barely even know when i clearly know who my mate is?

He sighed deeply and looked at me. "I know that. But he clearly doesn't want to be mates with you, Max. I think that's pretty clear by now."

A sharp pain spread in my chest at his words.

While i wanted to shout that he's wrong, i knew that he wasn't.

I knew all too well.

Because Tul has told me that multiple times to my face in the last 2 months after i found out he's my mate.

"So because my actual mate doesn't want to accept me, you want me to marry someone i barely know and live happily with her instead?" I asked.

"I'm doing this for your own good. You're going to be the next alpha of this pack. You can't lead without a luna by your side." He said.

I stared at him silently.

So that's it.

Because I'm the next alpha of the pack.

That's why he's in such a hurry to marry me off.

It's not because he cares about me.

I looked behind me when I heard a knock on the door.

"Come in." Dad called out.

The door opened and Tul came in.

"You called alpha?" He asked looking straight at dad.

He didn't even spare me a glance.

It's as if I'm not even here.

As if I'm invisible.

The pain in my chest increased tenfold at the thought.

I didn't say anything more and just went out of the study as fast as I could before I broke down in front of them.

I slammed the door of my room shut and locked it behind me as i went in.

I slid to the floor leaning against it.

The tears that I had been painstakingly holding back started streaming down my face.

Why does this have to happen to me?

Why?

What did I do wrong?

Why won't he accept me? Why does he keep rejecting me?

What's so wrong about me that he doesn't even want to look me in the eyes anymore?

I had to bite my lips to stop the sobs from escaping my lips as the pain kept increasing with each passing second.

I pulled my knees close to my chest and buried my face in them.

I hate this... I hate this so much...

Why does this have to happen to me...

Why me...

I could taste blood as I tried my best to not make a sound.