Chapter 13

JENNIE

"No means no Lisa. Can't you understand such a simple thing?" I yelled while stuffing my mouth with the chicken that Aunt Chaerin had made.

"But Nini, you know you are talented. Just give it a try." Lisa pleaded and made a cute puppy face.

I sighed in frustration. Lisa can be so annoying at times. “I can't and I won't. You know I hate singing in front of a large audience," I reply in an exasperated voice. Before Lisa could open her mouth to persuade me further, Tae intervened in the conversation.

"Lisa said it's going to be a blind audition, Jennie. You will be asked to sing inside a room from where no one can see you, even the judges won't know who you are." Tae sounded irritated by now as they were trying to convince me for the past one hour.

"Give it a shot honey and if you don't get selected then who cares, no one's ever going to know you participated." Mom jumped in, which made both the Lisa and Tae nod their heads.

I was annoyed. Why does everyone want me to participate in this? Don't they know I'm scared to sing in front of a crowd?

"But I don't want to do this mom," I stated.

This time it was Aunt Chaerin who spoke. "Just try it once Jennie. You got nothing to lose anyway."

I feel annoyed realizing that everyone is forcing me to do something which they know I hate a lot. I never even sang in front of them. It was just this one time when I was alone in my room singing, that Lisa recorded the whole thing without my knowledge, and in the next family dinner, she revealed it to everyone. Since then everyone forces me to show off my talent and participate in the school choir but I never really approved of that idea.

"Jennie just once, please. It's a blind audition for God's sake." Lisa requested and I couldn't deny her this time.

"Okay. Okay. Just this one time Lisa", I said which instantly brought a smile on everyone's face.

*******

"Baby pink or deep pink which one should I put?" Chahee asked me while we were standing near her locker waiting for her to apply her lipstick.

"Who cares Cha? Both look the same to me anyway," I said in a monotonous tone.

Chahee rolled her eyes in annoyance and started explaining to me the difference between the two. "See Jennie there's a lot of difference. This one is like a lighter shad-"

"Baby pink. That will look better on you," Rosé responded while joining us near the locker, she had a stack of books in her hand.

"No one asked for your suggestion," Chahee said coldly.

"Chahee don't be so mean to Rosé she's just trying to help," I said.

I don't understand why Chahee acts so mean to Rosé all the time.

"It's okay Jennie. I was just passing by and heard your conversation so thought of giving some suggestions." Rosé said in a low voice. She seemed hurt by Chahee's words. Her eyes had a hint of sadness but she covered it with a smile.

"What's with so many books? Are you not going to attend the lectures?" I asked to change the topic because clearly, it was getting super awkward with Chahee being blatantly mean to Rosé for no reason.