Chapter 37

SO HEE

Jennie was back in town and I don't know why this thought made me so anxious. I mean it was pretty obvious that someday she would return still I didn't expect it to be so soon. Lisa and my relationship had barely started developing, but the minute I heard the news of Jennie returning, my stomach swirled. I was scared that everything I built in these past three years would shatter into pieces with her return.

I still remember the day I had last seen Jennie, it was in our school's washroom. I was sobbing like a baby and she held me close to her without asking any questions. I was grateful to her for giving me warmth and comfort at such a vulnerable point in my life. Even though we weren't the best of friends yet she decided to stay by my side. She had always been this way, ever since she was a kid she used to support any person in need. Along with being extremely beautiful, she was also a very strong and fierce girl. I envied this quality of her. But the thing I most envied about her was Lisa.

Lisa and Jennie had been friends since their second grade and their bond was inseparable. No matter how many problems came between them but they always found their way back to each other. That's something I was so jealous of since that didn't happen with Jennie and I. Even though we were best friends during our preschool days but due to one small issue, we drifted apart. I missed her initially but then my ego overpowered. After that, I never made an attempt to mend our friendship.

Do I regret that choice now? Definitely not. Because if we would have become friends again, then I don't think my conscious would have allowed me to date Lisa. I still can't figure out why would Jennie break up with a gem of a girl like Lisa but thanks to her, I got the courage to face the world again. When Song Kang left because he didn't want a child with me, I was devastated. I know I got pregnant pretty young and that was definitely a mistake but I couldn't make the cruel choice of killing my baby. I just couldn't. Even though my dad was against it yet I made the decision to keep my child.

The only thing I feared was people's reaction. What are they going to think of me when they find out that the father of my child doesn't want this? This thought kept me awake all night. I did want my baby to see this world and not have a painful death but at the same time, I was scared of bringing it out in this world without a father. What explanation would I give to my baby? You were a mistake? Your father hates both of us and that's why he left!

Unexpectedly, Lisa came into my life like a ray of hope. She was my angel. We weren't good friends at first yet she tried to bridge that gap and took great care of me once she found out about my pregnancy. It wasn't something I told her on purpose, she just happened to guess that after spending a lot of time with me.

Initially, I couldn't really understand why she was putting so much efforts to hang out with me but then she confessed to me about her break up. She told me how devastated she was because of everything and I was her distraction. I helped her to forget Jennie and that's exactly what she needed at that moment. Though it felt like she was using me, but in a way, I was using her too. The more time I spent with her, the happier I felt. I slowly started forgetting about Song Kang. Unknowingly Lisa had healed my wounds and I would be forever indebted to her.

Since Lisa and I hung out a lot, and my belly had also started to grow, everyone speculated that the child was her but she never made an attempt to clear that misconception. Later she admitted that she wanted things to go exactly the same way. She told me truthfully that she wasn't exactly in love with me but she wanted to continue taking care of me. She said she liked me. I was a little apprehensive at first but then I realized that Lisa had been my biggest supporter and agreeing to be with her meant my baby would finally have a father figure. So that's when we decided to move in together.

In front of the entire world, we started pretending to date and Lisa even claimed to be the Dada of my child but she and I both knew the truth. This was all a pretence. We just held on to each other because we both needed support. We both had a past we wanted to forget and together we were helping each other grow.

When we moved in, everyone thought that we were a real couple but the truth was that we were just friends. We slept separately and never tried to intrude in each other's personal life.

Lisa was the happiest when she held Sophie in her arms for the first time. Since day one she had always showered Sophie with all the love that she deserved. Not once did she ever treat her differently, it felt like Sophie was her own child. Everyone in town was jealous of my happy family. My colleagues told me I was the luckiest girl to have such an amazing daughter and a supportive partner who loved me dearly, but little did they know the truth. This was all a facade. Lisa definitely was my biggest support but she wasn't in love with me. She was still in love with Jennie.

This thought of mine changed when she asked me to marry her. I was stunned. I can't disagree that I had started developing feelings for her but I never tried to do anything about it since that would ruin our friendship. Nevertheless, when she proposed, I accepted it in a blink of an eye. Lisa was all mine now. I felt like the happiest girl in the world.

And nearly after a year of our engagement, Jennie decided to come back in town. We together went to her welcoming party and that's when I realized that Lisa was still in love with her. Her eyes searched for her the entire time. I had excused myself to go to the washroom and when I came back she was nowhere to be found. I started looking for her everywhere and then my eyes landed on them. They both were standing together and talking. Lisa stared at her like she was the most precious thing she possessed. I got a weird feeling in my stomach. The feeling of losing her to Jennie.

Today after she came back from the mall, I asked her if she still had feelings for Jennie. She replied with a No. But I knew that was a lie. I knew she still had feelings for her. What I didn't understand was why would she want to get engaged to me, if it was Jennie she liked?

I felt stupid. Did I make a wrong decision by agreeing to marry Lisa? I didn't want to be the girl who came between two lovers but Jennie had left Lisa years ago. Why did she have to come back? I can't let her play with Lisa's feelings again. She had already destroyed Lisa once and I won't let that happen again.

I then picked up my phone and decided to do something which I hadn't done in years. I dropped a text to Jennie.

To:[Jennie]
Can we meet?. So Hee here.

Within minutes, I got her reply.

Frm:[Jennie]
Sure.

☆☆☆