Chapter 36

LISA

"You guys came back early," So Hee said the moment she opened the door. She was wearing a pink color sweater and her hair was tied up in a bun. She always made this hairstyle when she was working on her designs. It helped her to concentrate more and not get bothered by her hair while working.

I nodded with a slight smile and entered the house with Sophie sleeping in my arms. "I lost her at the mall today," I confessed. She looked furious but she didn't yell at me as that would wake Sophie up. She took her from my arms and strolled towards her room to put Sophie on the bed. A few minutes later, she came back outside, fuming with rage.

"How could you be so reckless Lisa?"

"I'm sorry. I met a colleague at the mall and spoke with him for a while and when I turned to look for her, she was missing," I admitted.

"Where did you find her then?"

"I found her near the ice cream parlor with Jennie," I replied. The moment she heard Jennie's name, all the color from her face had vanished. She had an indistinct expression on her face and I couldn't infer what she was thinking at the moment.

"Did you tell her?" She questioned sceptically.

"Huh?"

"Did you tell her about Sophie's dad?" She asked to make her previous question more understandable.

"Obviously not So Hee. I have already told you, I will take your secret to my grave," I said firmly to make her believe that I still kept my part of the promise. She sighed in relief.

"I'm sorry, I thought you would end up telling her everything," she said in a low voice.

No matter how much I wanted to do that, I knew I couldn't. I couldn't risk telling Jennie the truth. "I'm going to keep my promise So Hee, you don't have to worry about that," I said to gain her confidence.

"It's just that... I saw the way you looked at her in the party," she mumbled which sent a shiver down my spine.

"I don't know what you mean So Hee," I said in a polite tone, hoping she wouldn't stretch this topic any further.

"You still love her, don't you?" She asked looking right into my eyes. I didn't know how to escape this situation, I wanted to run away. I didn't want to confront my feelings for Jennie, that too in front of So Hee.

"No, I don't." I lied to her and maybe she sensed it because she didn't look that pleased with my reply.

"I still don't understand why she left you. She lost her chance with a good woman like you," she stated and walked back to her desk where all her designs were kept.

I realized it was best to leave now as she's busy with her work and won't get up from her desk for an hour or so. I swiftly made my way towards my bedroom and closed the door behind me. I tooked off my shirt leaving my sports bra and lied down on my bed remembering about all the events that occurred today.

I couldn't remove Jennie's face from my head. When she saw me with Sophie today, she looked so heartbroken. I had a sudden urge to go and comfort her but I know I have lost that chance years back. She must probably be thinking that I'm extremely happy with my family but little does she know that I'm miserable.