Twenty Six

Demi

Phil: Meeting Now. Max will be with you at 9.

I released a sigh as I momentarily stared up at the ceiling. I combed my fingers through my hair and then finally climbed out of bed. I smiled at Batman who lay curled up at the end of the bed. I gave him a light scratch and then leant to press a kiss to the top of his head.

"Mommy's gonna get shouted at" his eyes watched me. "You can come too and be my little support buddy" he just continued to silently watch me as I headed into the closet. I have absolutely no energy, morning sickness or rather all day sickness, is definitely kicking my ass already today. I pulled on a pair of leggings and a sweatshirt. I threw my hair up into a messy bun and slid my feet into a pair of sneakers. Batman followed me down into the kitchen where I grabbed myself a decaf coffee to go and a banana. A knock sounded on the door as I clipped Batman's leash to his collar.

"Morning Demi" I flashed a smile at Max as I pulled open the front door. Batman instantly began to paw at his leg.

"I'm really sorry to disturb you on your day off."

"You didn't disturb me, Dem" I locked the front door and followed him down to the Escalade. I lifted Batman onto the seat and then slid into the back beside him. I began to comb my fingers through his fur as he curled up at my side. "Now, I want you to ignore anything he says to you" I bit down on my lip as I glanced at Max as he pulled out the driveway. "You deserve this baby. You deserve to be happy and if he doesn't like it then he can...ya know" I lightly laughed at him.

"I love you, Max."

"I love you too, Demetria" I rolled my eyes at his use of my full name. He always calls me Demetria, I don't know why it ever surprises me to hear. The closer we got to my management's building, the more my stomach fluttered. I don't know why I'm so nervous, it isn't like anything will change with this baby. I'm still going to have them. "Again, don't listen to any of his shit" I just laughed at him. "Do you want me to come in with you because I will?"

"No, I'll be fine" he nodded as he brought the car to a stop.

"I'll wait out here for you, okay?"

"Thank you" I lifted Batman into my arms and then I slid from the car. I began to take deep breaths as I headed into the building. I headed straight up to Phil's office. The door was open and I stepped in to find Phil and Mike sat there.

"Close the door, Demi" I swallowed down the lump in my throat as I turned to shut the door. I released a breath before I turned to take a seat opposite them. "So, were you planning on telling us about the baby anytime soon or were we going to be the last to find out?" Batman curled up on my lap. He may not do much but he's thankfully bringing me some comfort.

"I would have told you when I felt ready. I didn't want anyone to know just yet. I had to tell my family over the phone because of the paparazzi" my face felt on fire as they watched me. I feel like I'm being interrogated. I had tears burning at the back of my eyes but they weren't tears of sadness, they were slowly becoming tears of anger. "I can still tour. I can still release music. None of that is going to change."

"Do you realise how hard raising a baby is, Demi?"

"Loads of women work after they've had children. Why do you seem to think that I can't?"

"We aren't doubting your..."

"You seem to think that this baby is going to change everything, that I'm not going to be interested in releasing music anymore. Nothing is going to change, Phil" I could see the anger slowly beginning to cover his face as we argued.

"A lot of things change once a baby is born, Demetria. If you were trying for a baby, it would have been considerate of you to actually let us know."

"This baby wasn't planned, Phil. And anyway, nobody ever said that I had to give up music when I eventually got to a point in my life where I wanted children. It doesn't say anywhere in my contract that having children will effect my career. Yeah, I'll probably take a little break after baby's born but that doesn't mean I don't wanna still make music. I was planning to take a break next year anyway" I glanced down at Batman who began to lick at my hand. It was obvious he could sense how anxious I was becoming. I hate that there's no one in my corner right now. I wish I'd have let Max in.

"And when were you going to let us know that?"

"I already told you before I released my album, that just proves you don't listen to me" Phil's jaw clenched but before he could comment, I continued. "I've been working my ass off non stop for the last like 10 years of my life. I need a break, Phil" tears forced their way forward. "I don't think I've had a break longer than a matter of weeks. I need to take some time away from the spotlight. I need to take some time for myself that doesn't include going into rehab" I began to occupy myself with combing my fingers through Batman's fur to try and contain my anger. "I-I want to spend some time with my baby once they're born and then I want to spend some time with Odell once we're married. I'm taking a break next year whether you like it or not. Now, if you've said all that you need to, I'm going to go."

"This baby may just ruin your career, Demi" I wanted to argue back but for some reason I could no longer find the strength. I don't want to risk losing my career altogether. Having a baby doesn't mean the end of my career but losing my manger definitely does. I can't risk ruining my career. I just need to suck it up. They're doing what's best for me, right?

——

I've also just published the first chapter of my new book 'Affair to Remember' ❤️