~ 20 ~

"Mom" Phana opened his dorm room the next day only to find his mother stand there, "why are you here?"

"I was worried" Anne responded as she caressed his cheeks "you look horrible"

"If you are here to make peace between us, forget it" Phana sighed, leaning into her touch unconsciously, "I don't want his money either... I was just going to check out from this dorm and find a cheaper place"

Anne smiled "I knew you would do something like that"

Phana remained silent as she gave him a hug, "my sweet, sweet boy" she dragged him to the room and they both sat on the bed, "he feels bad for the words he said to you"

"I don't think so" Phana responded, he had spent the better part of his night trying to forget both his father's expression and words. "He meant every last bit of it, he doesn't see me as a man, as his son but disappointment ever since I was a child, I just want to know why."

His mother gulped but shook her head "it is not your fault"

"I can at least correct it if I know" Phana sighed giving up, "I can work on making it better"

"But you can't change who you are and you don't have to" She said finally, "can you do one thing for me?"

"What ma?" Phana looked at her slightly confused at her words

"If you don't want his money, take mine – one I inherited from your grandfather... I paid in full your hostel and tuition" she said softly, "be strong... be who you are and just be happy"

"I don't" Phana started but Anne shut him up, "I want you to... let me at least do this for my son"

Phana didn't reply so she just stood up "Let's have breakfast... come on" she pulled him, "I am sorry darling, but I am going to make it up for all things I should have done in the past"

"You did it all ma" Phana said softly, he didn't want her to worry, feel sad but she shook her head, "but you know what... I am going to start now"

-------

Sunrise, sunset, sunrise, sunset.... time flew and soon Phana was working two part time jobs, one at college library and another – tutoring high-schoolers not for college exams but in general. None which his friends knew, neither did his family.

His mother continued to deposit his monthly allowances, but he had stayed away from it by principle. With the dorm and education paid out, his wages were more than sufficient. Excess he started day trading and by the mid of his 3rd year, his investments had started growing.

He was happy, proud of himself and he thought soon he will be able to show his father, he was not a weakness but more capable than what he gave him credit for.

A small smile bloomed his face when he checked his account balance.

"What are you smiling at?" Kit sat down next to him and leaned into look at his phone, "it's weird". 

Phana hid his phone and pushed the other away "don't be creepy" he laughed when Kit whined giving up. He saw students take a couple of pictures of them both, but Phana shrugged it off... it no longer bothered him.

Kit noticed it too, he shot a worried glance at Phana who didn't bat an eye but continued to smile "Did you finish your assignment? Beam just dropped it with me before he went to engineering!"

"You changed a lot" Kit said, "all good... but this part!!! God, I wish you could be a little less pain in the ass"

"Your assignment" Phana repeated, "We can't complete without your part"