~ 28 ~

Kit watched the sleeping figure by the window, luckily there were not many passengers in the bus and Phana had taken a seat right behind him and Beam. He had seen the unshed tears during Beam's wedding, and he had not thought about it as he was also sad since he felt like he was losing his friend.

But since then, Phana had withdrawn a lot more... not technically but he sure felt like it. The sudden vacations, weightloss and sullen expression made him feel more guilty. On the contrary, Beam seemed to be doing better except he was guarded... way to guarded.

Prae had told him to stop worrying unnecessarily, but she did hint something about Phana being hunted by a wolf but he was sure Phana would have told them if it meant something. His rebellion, part time jobs... it felt like there was something going on, but both of his friends seemed to be rather tightlipped about it.

"You might burn a hole  on his face at this rate" Beam nudged Kit, "what are you thinking?"

"Just that giraffe was right again – I do miss how we used to be" Kit said softly turning his attention back from Phana to Beam. "It feels like there are many secrets between us now... like somehow we are distant, is this what growing up feels like?"

Beam sighed as he rested his head on Kit's shoulders "I don't want to grow up"

"Am not sure, some parts I rather like" Kit smiled "some... I hate"

"You are so whipped" Beam said, "but Prae is good for you... take good care of her"

"She is the best" Kit said, "I am just glad she accepted my closeness with you guys, don't think others would have understood... she is matured for her age"

"I have seen her throw glares at people who look at Phana wrongly" Beam smiled, "even he mentioned that she is becoming a typical mother hen and he is so glad you guys got together"

"She has a soft spot for him" Kit said with a smile "I blame his brains and his notes, but she says unlike us both, he is the most innocent in our group. Can you believe it?"

Beam thought for a second as he glanced at the sleeping figure before nodding, "she is right"

"Not you too" Kit frowned, "he is not innocent"

"But come on... think about it, he parties only with us, has never dated, always has his rules and stuffs... tell me one thing he has done not by the rule... even his so-called rebellion, he did it by the books, partime jobs and stock markets – he made himself a name that only helped his father's reputation," Beam sighed "in some sense – he definitely is, and I agree with Prae"

"Sometimes, I worry" Beam said softly when Kit remained silent, "he needs someone like Forth, headstrong and caring. If he had opened up with Forth in our 1st year, then things might have been better"

"What nonsense it this?" Kit frowned

"I mean I think Forth was sincere when he tried to hit on him during our first year, but he moved on when Phana didn't react" Beam said, "I sometimes wonder how things would have been.... Knowing them both, they would be good for each other"

"that's absolute nonsense and don't let either of them hear you. Personally, I think that relationship would have crashed and burned just within months if they both dated, but you and Forth are like perfect fit." Kit explained as be observed Beam who remained silent.

Kit asked after a couple of minutes "Is everything okay with you two?"

"Yes" Beam said with a smile, "I just want Phana to be happy too"

"Me too" Kit sighed as he closed his eyes "I just want all of us to be happy and together for a long time"

---------