An unexpected backstab

(I am back out of my 2am creative impulses!! I'm pretty much just lying in bed and have a half awake half asleep dream about the next chapter and now I neeeeeed to write it!!)

You woke up temporarily forgetting what had happened the other night. You looked at Bruno who was sleeping next to you as usual.

You nudged him awake and he opened his eyes. "Morning." You whispered. "Yeah.." Bruno replied with his usual morning energy. His usual morning energy was no energy so it checks out.

You slipped out of bed and went to wake up Mariana. As you walked into her room and looked down at her you muffled a scream of terror upon seeing a rotten face of the girl you'd adopted.

You blinked and as soon as you'd done so the rotten face was gone and instead laid a peaceful girl. You rubbed your eyes. "I'm way too tired." You muttered.

You stepped forward and crouched down. You nudged Mariana and watched her wake up sleepily with a small smile. You looked over as Bruno stood in the doorway looking concerned.

"Morning darling." You said as Mariana stretched her arms up above her head. "Good morning." She replied, sitting up with surprising energy. She hopped out of bed and you offered you her hand.

You walked her to the door and Mariana reached her hand out to Bruno who took it with a small wince. You frowned before you all headed downstairs to the kitchen.

After you had all eaten you decided to take Mariana to the market to find some new clothes. "Are you coming Bruno?" You asked hopefully. Bruno scratched the back of his neck.

"Eheh- yeah I'll go." Bruno said with a small nervous laugh. You took his hand and kissed him on the cheek thankfully. "Hey and maybe we can catch up with the others later." You suggested.

Bruno nodded as you all left the house. You were walking down the street towards the market when Mariana made a strange noise. You looked at her in confusion.

"Are you okay?" You asked in concern. Mariana just squeezed her eyes shut and coughed up a small black bug. You gagged and bent over next to Mariana in worry. The small girl looked down at the bug and screamed.

Bruno rushed forward and pulled you away from Mariana. You pulled yourself out of his grasp. "Bruno my daughter just coughed up a bug!" You yelled. "Don't try to take me away from her!"

Bruno flinched away from you and you ran over to Mariana. "We should just go back home." You said, picking Mariana up into your arms. The small girl dug her fingers into your back, clearly terrified.

You turned around and started walking back to your house. Bruno followed close behind you and you turned to stop him. "Actually Bruno, can you get Julieta and your mama." You asked. Bruno nodded and went away towards Casita.

You went at a fast pace back to your house. You ran inside when Mariana started making more strange noises. The ground beneath your feet and the wall as of the house began to tremble. You put Mariana down in an arm chair and checked her forehead for a temperature.

"Hold in there darling, your papa'a getting help." You whispered, trying to calm Mariana down. The young girl start to tremble and make more horrifying noises. "Honey?" You asked, taking Mariana's hands in yours.

The little girl blinked and when she opened her eyes all that was left were rotten hollows, crawling with bugs. You screamed in terror and tried to scramble away but the girl had her finger nails tearing into your skin.

You screamed again as you saw rotting flesh run across Mariana's body, leaving her as a living corpse. The girl dug her finger nails deeper into your skin and you cried out in pain as you tried to pull yourself free.

The walls around you started to shake and crumbled apart and you looked around in horror. One wall collapsed behind you and you pulled Mariana to her feet, shielding her. You felt a large rock crash into your side and you cried out in pain again.

Mariana's face was flickering from girl to corpse by the second as you held your arm to shield you both again. You pulled Mariana outside the front door and sighed in relief as the house continued to collapse.

The small girl suddenly tore at your skin with her nails, and held up a sharp piece of broken metal. She threw her arm forward, trying to stab you with the metal as though she had been possessed.

You screamed again and threw Mariana off you and through the front door of the house. You collapsed to your knees as you watched the small girl being crushed within the falling house.

~Bruno's POV~

I was running back to the house with Julieta and my Mama align with Felix, Agustin and Pepa who had insisted on coming too. I heard a distant crashing noise and yelled out in fear.

I ran faster and so did everybody else behind me. I turned the corner onto Y/n's street and saw Mariana tearing at their arm with her nails. I saw Y/n scream in pain and I shouted out in horror. 

I saw Y/n shove Mariana into the crumbling house, letting her get crushed beneath the falling stones. Y/n collapsed onto their knees and I ran up, throwing my arms around them.

"I love you, thank god you're alright." I cried, as Y/n suddenly placed a shaky hand on my cheek. I turned to look at them and saw tears in their eyes. "I love you too." Y/n whispered.

I frowned when I saw a bit of blood at the corner of their mouth. I looked down and lost my breath at the sight of a jagged piece of metal stuck into their chest.

"I love you." Y/n repeated. I let out a choked sob and Y/n reached up to kiss me. I leant down and let our lips connect, ignoring the taste of blood in my mouth.

"Y/n don't fall asleep okay, Julieta can fix this." I whispered, hearing my voice trembling as I spoke. I placed me hand next to the metal trying to stop the bleeding.

Julieta dropped to her knees next to us and pulled an Arepa out of her apron pocket. Y/n's eyes scanned my face and I felt myself crying uncontrollably before I could stop myself.

"I love you." Y/n said again and I nodded. My tears dropped onto Y/n's face along with heavy rain coming from Pepa. "I love you too." I said quietly, holding their head in my hand.

Y/n didn't even have the energy to take Julieta food at this point and a line tear fell down their cheek before their eyes glasses over. Their body fell limp in my hands and I let out an anguished wail. I heard crowds whispering and crying behind me but it didn't matter.

I leant over Y/n's dead body, sobbing in the rain. Knowing that in that moment I'd lost the most important thing to me.

And that nothing would ever fix this.

(Okay so yes since the very first chapter I was planning for Y/n to die. And I apologise. I personally had tears in my eyes as I wrote over this chapter and I am considering writing an alternative ending where Y/n isn't stabbed.)

(I would like to thank everybody who was with me along the journey of this story and I hope this ending isn't as terrible for you as it was for me.)

(I will be making an authors note right after this to explain why I ended it this way.)

(I love you all. Sorry for your death.)

Signed:

Your local author who isn't actually local