Chapter 22

Katie's POV

Nat and I were asking each other questions and she is now about to test me on how many languages I know. She asked me in a different language, "What language am I speaking?" I froze. I could understand what she was saying but I couldn't understand which one. I got really nervous and I had to call Jess, Lena's assistant for my vax records. I got them all from Lena because Arnold and Anna didn't ever bother giving me any after the ones I got in the hospital.

(Jess' words will be in bold and Katie's will be normal.)

"Hey Jess." "Katie? Is that really you?" "Yeah it's been I while I'm sorry. Please don't tell Lena." "Why not, aren't you coming back?" "I can't I'm sorry." "Please Lena misses you so much, she's always checking the news for you. How could you stay away for so long?" " "I don't want to but I don't know how I could come back after all this, I don't to hurt her more." "You're hurting her by staying away. You have to come back . Please!" "I just need a copy of my vax records, please." "I'll send them to you but please come back." "I'll try, I am sorry. I miss you both. Bye."

I hang up promptly, I couldn't keep going. The last I saw Lena was 3 days before I left for the Battle of the Neverseen. 3 and months later when everything was cleared up I sent her 1 text.

'Don't worry, I'm alive.'

After that she kept calling and calling and texting. Slowly the number of notifications went down and it only happens occasionally now. The reason I didn't go back because I was changed. I was just getting used to my new hearing and everything just seemed like too much at the time. So I stayed away, I cant bring myself to listen to her voicemails. I miss her so much but it's been so long I don't know how to reproach her.

I was called by Stark to make a suit so I took Nat with me. I can't bear dealing with Stark alone. I grab some suit blueprints from my room and head to Stark's lab 3 floors down.