Ch 20

TW: mention of rape

Addie rolls a cart full of medical supplies down the hospital corridor towards Meredith's room. She is hoping this will go over well but she is unsure.

She gets to Meredith's room and knocks on the door. "It's just Addison." She calls out to warn Meredith.

"Come on in." Carolyn says, smiling at her. She is standing outside of the closed bathroom door. "Mer, you doing okay in there?" Carolyn says to Meredith who is in the bathroom.

"Hi Addie, how are you doing sweetheart?" Carolyn asks her.

"I'm doing well, how about you?" Addie asks, looking around the room for Meredith. "Is she in the bathroom?"

Carolyn nods. "Yeah, she is."

Just then a little crash is heard in the bathroom and both Addie and Carolyn are alarmed.

"Meredith? Are you okay?" Carolyn calls out.

A slight whimper is heard. "Can you help me please?" Meredith says softly, but loud enough for Carolyn to hear.

Carolyn opens the door and sees Meredith on the ground with her crutches next to her. "Meredith! Are you okay? What happened?"

"I tried to walk to the door myself but slipped. I hate these couches." Meredith mutters. "I wanted to do it myself." She pushes the crutches away from herself in anger.

"Aww Meredith. Did you hurt your leg more?" Carolyn asks and helps her up.

"It's fine." Meredith mutters.

"Mer, Addie is here to do a little checkup on you."

Meredith, knowing what check ups Addison's job requires, widens her eyes in fear and yells "no!". She all of a sudden gets out of Carolyn's gentle hold and quickly goes back into the bathroom, closing the door on Addie and Carolyn.

"Meredith, it's okay!" Carolyn calls.

"No!" Meredith protests. "I'm not coming out!"

"Mer, I won't hurt you I promise! You're one of my best friends! I would never hurt you!" Addie calls out to her friend.

"No! No! No!" Meredith yells over and over again. "Don't wanna be touched!"

Carolyn sighs. "I hate that she's always terrified. I feel so bad for her. I want things to go back to normal for her."

"Me too." Addie says sadly.

"Meredith, I was going to surprise you with this later but do you remember the first present Derek ever gave you?"

"Teddy? I miss Teddy." Meredith whispers.

"I have Teddy in my purse. If you come out of the bathroom and let Addie examine you I'll give him to you now."

The bathroom door slowly opens.

"Teddy? Where is he?" Meredith asks softly.

"Will you let Addie examine you?"

"Yes." Meredith whispers. "Can I have Teddy please?"

Carolyn goes to her purse and pulls out a teddy bear stuffed animal.

Meredith's face lights up when she sees him. Carolyn gives her the bear and she hugs him to her chest.

"Thank you Carolyn."

"You're welcome Meredith. I thought that would help you out during these hard times. Can you get back into your bed now?"

Meredith nods. "Can you help me get back into bed please?"