XIII. Breakdown

April 23rd, 1996

"Percy."

"Ah!"

Percy swung around, not quite knowing what he was expecting. Sword already in one hand and wand in the other, he came face to face with Grover Underwood.

His shoulders sagged in relief. "Grover! Don't scare me like that!"

The satyr blushed through the cloud of the Iris-Message. "Sorry, man."

Percy shook his head and chuckled, sitting down at the kitchen counter. He had been trying —and failing— to cook a nice muggle dinner for Annabeth when Grover had so rudely startled him. "Chill, it's cool. It's nice to see you."

Grover smiled. "You too, Perce. I've missed you."

"Well, it won't be long now. I mean the wedding is in a couple of weeks and of course you're my best man so—"

Grover bleated with laughter. "I get it, Percy."

"Yeah," the son of Poseidon finished. "So what's the deal with this unexpected call? Is everything alright?"

At that, Grover's expression changed. The blood in Percy's veins turned cold. "Percy... you guys need to come to camp."

"What? Why?"

Grover glanced down guiltily and then back up again, his eyes glistening. "There's been another prophecy."

Annabeth was not pleased to hear that.

~•~

The Portkey landed them just below Half-Blood Hill where Grover, Chiron and Thalia were already waiting, solemn expressions decorating their faces. Percy felt Annabeth squeeze his hand - a silent gesture of assurance and comfort. He gave her hand a squeeze in return. They did not need to look at each other to know what was being said.

Together, they trudged up the hill. The number of times they had done that...

Focus, Percy told himself.

"Percy, Annabeth," Chiron, in full centaur form, greeted them, "it's good to see you again."

"And you, Chiron," Annabeth answered. "Now, what's this I hear about another prophecy?"

Chiron's face did not change. "You should come inside. The rest of the counselors have been gathered."

The Big House was full to say the least. Both familiar and new faces were gathered; counselors from every cabin attended. However, upon entering, Percy and Annabeth were greeted with silence. Even Clarisse, who was always the most boisterous of the lot, stayed quiet. What concerned them more was the synthetic look which she cast in their direction.

Percy and Annabeth took their seats around the ping- pong table between Grover and Clarisse.

"Well?" Annabeth asked, breaking the silence.

Chiron, at the head of the table, sighed. "Rachel, it's time."

All heads turned to the opposite end of the table where Rachel sat, pink-faced and teary-eyed. She nodded. Her eyes began to glow with green smoke.

Child born on Christ's Eve
Child of Wisdom
Child of Sea
Child of Prophecy

Time will Turn
The Future Change
Darkness Rise
Once and Future King Reign Again

Rachel's eyes returned once again.

The room was silent.

Percy... he was confused.

"Why does everyone look so solemn?" He asked quietly. "I get it basically describes us but neither of us are born in December-"

"It's because we don't think it's about you," Lou Ellen cut in.

"-huh?"

"Poseidon and Athena share no love for one another," Grover went on to explain. "That much we all know. This prophecy specifically describes a union between wisdom and sea. We think-"

"You think it's us," Annabeth whispered. She turned from Grover to Percy, eyes wide. "It... Percy, if we ever have a child..."

Realization slowly dawned on Percy. The reaction could be described in multiple ways: first surprise, then longing... then horror.

He stood from his seat, crossing his arms over his chest. He turned away from the table. His heart was thundering against his chest.

"We'll never escape this," he heard Annabeth say quietly.

"I'm sorry, Annabeth," Clarisse said.

"We will be here," Chiron added, "when the time is right. The child will be protected here."

Percy felt a hand on his shoulder and looked up to see Grover, who smiled softly. "You okay?" He asked.

Percy sighed and looked away out the window, laying his eyes on the sea before him. It glowed darkly; a storm was coming. It was as though Poseidon could sense the unease of his son.

"I'll be okay," Percy finally answered. "It's... it's my kid I'm worried about. Hades, they are even alive yet and I'm worried!"

Grover chuckled despite the situation. "Now you know how I feel."

Percy nodded, then frowned. He glanced back at Grover. "Hold on. Is Juniper-?"

Grover grimaced. "I didn't think it was the right time to tell you guys-"

"Are you kidding?" Percy cheered. "Buddy, we need to hear this! Beth!"

~•~

In the end, despite the horrible news, the day wasn't too awful. Though the prophecy lingered in the back of their minds clear as day, Percy and Annabeth found comfort in their family that day — and, of course, in learning that their best friend was to be a father and they were to be dubbed the godparents.

Bad day, bad news... but not entirely.

Although Percy sure did have a lot to tell Severus about.

~•~

Hi! Just a short chapter to keep your taste buds satisfied. Also, a little hint into the sequel if I so desire. Next, wedding bells!
-V!