XVII. The Veil

June 18th, 1996

By the time Percy and Annabeth arrived to the Department of Mysteries, it was total chaos

By the time Percy and Annabeth arrived to the Department of Mysteries, it was total chaos. The Order was going against the Death Eaters, Sirius was locked in a duel with Lucius Malfoy and Harry and his friends were trying not to die. Percy sighed exasperatedly, glancing at his wife one last time. She shook her head in understanding. Of course, Harry and Percy shared the same talent for getting into trouble.

"Don't I get a kiss for luck? It's kind of a tradition, right?" Percy asked cheekily.

Annabeth rolled her eyes, raising her wand. "Come back alive, Seaweed Brain," she said. "Then we'll see." With that, she jumped into the battle, heading for the group of teenagers huddled against the wall of the chamber.

Percy shook his head in disbelief. Some things never change.

He raised his wand and joined the battle, heading straight for Lucius Malfoy. If he could get away with giving that man a thorough beating without being labelled as a traitor to the Dark Lord, he sure as hell was going to take it. He joined Sirius' side, deflecting a stray killing curse heading towards the older man.

"About time," Sirius huffed.

They still weren't on the same page, Percy and Sirius, but they were no longer enemies. Harry united them now, and always would.

"Sorry," Percy replied sarcastically. "Not like I was busy or anything."

"Oh shut up," Sirius snapped. Percy grinned.

However, their jokes were quickly put aside when Harry came into the picture — quite literally. He came barreling out of his hiding place towards them, deflecting spells and narrowly missing a stunning spell of Percy's own making.

"Harry!" Percy yelled angrily. "Get back to Annabeth!"

"No!" Harry yelled back defiantly. "I want to help."

If he'd had the time, Percy would have boxed Harry's ears.

In the corner of his eye, Percy spied Lucius taking aim at Harry. Moving faster than he ever had, Percy tackled Harry to the ground, narrowly escaping the spell.

"Percy!" Harry shouted.

Percy sat up, grabbing Harry's forearm firmly as they ducked for cover behind a set of rocks. All the humor had drained from the face of the son of Poseidon. "What the hell are you doing! First you get into this shit in the first place and now? Now you're needlessly endangering yourself!"

"Percy!" Sirius yelled over the sound of battle. It was a sound Percy had hoped Harry would never have to hear — never again. "Let it go! Harry, listen to me. I need you to get back to the others and get out of here with Annabeth. It isn't safe here."

"What? No, I'm staying with you!" Harry said defiantly, ripping his arm from his brother's tight (but safe) grasp.

"You've done beautifully. Now, let me take it from here," Sirius explained gently.