XIII. Murder in the Forest

AN: Slight trigger warning in the middle and at the end. If you get it, you get it. If you don't, good for you :)

~•~

March 7th, 1995

Cedric, Piper and Percy stood in the office of Professor Snape. Severus had left them alone to say goodbye, and now they were. Percy didn't want to say it. The prophecy of death given to him by Athena was too fresh in his mind for him to part with another friend.

"Do you have to go?" Percy found himself asking.

Cedric and Piper stopped their conversation, both turning to him. Piper's eyes were soft, dazzling and determined. "You know I do," she said. "I'll be back in a few weeks, Percy, it's not long."

Percy scratched his head and shrugged. "I just have a bad feeling, is all," he said softly. He didn't miss the exchange of glances between his friends.

Piper turned back and hugged him tightly. He breathed in her scent, his best friend, and made sure to memorise it... just in case she didn't come back.

"I'll be back soon," she promised. "And I'll be with Annabeth and Jason and Hazel and Frank and Reyna. We might finally find Leo! Not to mention, I'll be the first to see my godchild, even if they're not here yet."

"Pipes," Cedric groaned, "that's not fair. I found out first! You only found out a week ago!"

"And I will make a point of recovering that lost time," she retorted, nudging them both with her elbows.

Percy found himself smiling. "As long as Thalia doesn't find out in the next eight months, fine by me."

"Yeah, she will kill you," Cedric deadpanned.

Percy blushed. "Don't remind me!"

Their laughter died soon after as they turned to the clock on the desk. One minute before the portkey left for America.

Piper hugged them both one last time, blowing them each a kiss before she grabbed her backpack and the portkey, and was gone a second later.

The boys glanced at each other. "What now?" Cedric mumbled.

As though on que, the door slammed open and wizards flew inside, men and women with dark cloaks and wands drawn. Behind them came several others: Severus, looking pale and shocked, and the other Heads of Houses. Harry followed, eyes downcast, and then Dumbledore and the Minister of Magic, Cornelius Fidge, strode inside. Of course, Mad-Eye Moody followed, smirking in the shadows.

"What's going on?" Cedric said, eyeing the wands pointing at them, surrounding them in a large circle.

"Barty Crouch was found dead in the forest," Dumbledore said calmly. "We have been made aware that Mister Potter was seen entering the forest on the day of Mister Crouch's disappearance, and as such, he is a suspect for the murderous act."

Suddenly, Percy really wished Piper hadn't just left.

~•~

March 8th, 1995

Being locked in the tower at the top of the school was not a fun thing to experience, much less in the middle of the winter and in nothing but breezy school robes.

Percy sat in the corner of his make-shift cell, knees tucked up to his chest, arms wound around them, trying to keep himself warm as the cold night drew on seemingly forever. He thought over the events that had led him up here, everything coming out in faint, vivid images.