IV. America

August 21st, 1996

Percy had to admit, he needed this just as much as Annabeth did

Percy had to admit, he needed this just as much as Annabeth did. He was incredibly excited.

The Portkey dropped them at the bottom of the hill. Thalia's pine tree stood tall at the top, her protective leaves branching out over camp. Already, Percy felt the heat settle within the confines of his jersey and knew it was going to be difficult to keep the thing on. Perhaps the mist would make the Dark Mark seem like another demigod tattoo? He wasn't willing to risk testing his theory. The Dark Mark couldn't be charmed.

But enough about that; Annabeth had made him promise not to talk about any of it while they were here. He hoped to hold himself to that promise.

Annabeth took his hand, practically dragging Percy up the hill. Camp Half Blood looked exactly the same as it always had, if a bit more lively. There were arrows being shot, demigods sparring in the arena and climbing the lava wall. Some were even swimming in the lake. From where he was standing, Percy could see Clarisse La Rue, now the camp leader, ordering some of her Ares minions around.

Percy looked at Annabeth, who was smiling wider than she had since they found out she was pregnant. Her eyes glittered with glee. "Home," she whispered. She took his hand again and led him down the hill.

They had barely made it ten feet within the border before they heard a shout of, "Percy! Annabeth!" They turned and found Will Solace running towards them, eyes bright and golden hair wild. He stopped short at the sight of Annabeth's protruding stomach. "Oh..."

Percy and Annabeth shared a laugh.

Soon, demigods had gathered around them to say hello, many of whom they did not recognize. Many of those who did know them gasped and squealed in excitement at the obvious coming addition.

"Do you know the gender yet?" Asked a daughter of Aphrodite.

"No," Annabeth answered, one hand on her stomach and the other intertwined with Percy's. "I think it's a boy," she added.

"I still think it's a girl," Percy chirped.

Chiron seemed glad for them, but the two struggled to ignore his saddened glances when he thought they wouldn't see. Chiron's age had begun to show in recent years; his eyes showed the centuries that had passed and his voice told of all his students who were now gone. Even now, his weariness of the damned prophecy that hung over their unborn child's head showed. Percy and Annabeth just pretended not to see it.

~•~

That evening, Percy and Annabeth were glad to join the campfire. Will was conducting the camp fire songs and the campers were all holding sticks with marshmallows stuck on the end over the fire.

"And then," Grover, who had arrived that afternoon with a spring in his step, was telling an animated story of his most recent demigod find, "the Chimera pounced! Her claws were this close to Ashely's face," he made a pinch with his fingers, leaving only a tiny bit of space between his index finger and thumb, "but I caught it by the tail with one of my vines and smashed her through the wall! Let's just say the neighbor's going to be in for a surprise when he gets home from Australia."