Part 12

With no livestock to attend to out in the barn exactly, no one came out for most of the day, but there were four-wheelers in the barn. Later in the afternoon, two teenage boys, Jason, age 15, and Scott, age 17, went out to take their four wheelers for a drive out in the woods on the path. For them, it was fun living in the country to be able to ride these four-wheelers and see and hunt wildlife at the appropriate times of the year.

Scott was the older brother and he had dirty blonde hair, brown eyes, stood at 5'5, and wore a red t-shirt and jeans. Jason was a little shorter than him, being the younger brother. He stood at 5'3 and had dark brown hair, blue eyes, and wore a navy shirt and jeans.

"So, Jas, you think we'll get some good deer this year?" Scott asked his bro.

"I don't know. We'll see what happens." Jason replied. "For right now, let's go enjoy the woods."

They got on and started their wheelers and took them out of the barn and took off for the woods. They were to be back home close to sunset. Their mother worried about them being out there on their own after dark. Their parents were divorced. The father had moved two states north and hardly ever saw his sons. He had been a very distant man and didn't want to hurt his family. He still sent payments to his ex-wife for his sons' education and such.

It was the weekend for the boys so they were able to enjoy themselves after their mom had made them help her with house chores earlier in the day. It was now late afternoon.

They drove through the woods for about 15 miles on the path. They lived pretty much out in the boonies, rarely ever going to town except for school and they rode the bus home on weekdays. Their mom had to work two jobs just to keep up with house payments and for stuff the boys needed. Scott wanted to get a job, but he had to take care of Jason most of the time.

Scott had a red Ford truck. Given they lived in the country, it was a four-wheel drive.

The mom was named Rhonda. She had dark hair, green eyes, and stood about 5'4. She was 42 years old. She worked as a waitress and bank teller. She tried to let her boys be independent but still worried about them out there in the woods. She knew they liked to hunt and ride their wheelers. They had no pets right now. They had had a dog growing up, a chocolate Labrador. He had gotten old and had to be put down humanely. He had also been a bird dog for them. Their father had hunted birds in the past before moving away.

Scott and Jason came home at sunset. They were pulling their four-wheelers into the barn when there was suddenly a loud roar that came out of nowhere. It almost blended with the sound of the engines but the boys heard it loud and clear.

"What was that?" Jason asked, startled.

"I don't know, little brother, but we better investigate." Scott replied.

They both killed the engines and picked up some pieces of wood there in the barn and went looking for whatever creature roared.

Brooklyn had woken up and he couldn't help but let out his usual roar when waking up. But now, he had heard the four-wheelers and he heard the boys talking. He had sunken down in trying to hide in the rafters from them. He didn't want trouble. Right now, he felt perfectly fine. He always did after waking up. He tried not to make a sound up there. He would leave after the boys left the barn, or at least he planned to.

The boys looked very warily around the barn and didn't see anything. Then, Scott looked up the rafters and didn't see anything but he was going to check anyway.

"I'm going to check up there." Scott said. "Be careful." Jason stated.

Scott nodded and began to slowly climb the ladder that led to the rafter. It was a wooden ladder.