Part 19

When 4:30 am came around, Brooklyn was awoken by his urge to just be awake. He was ready to be up again. He wanted to do something. He felt refreshed after his nap. It wasn't time yet for Elaine to be up. Still early for that. Dawn wouldn't be for a while yet.

Brooklyn found the blanket over him, and he pushed onto the couch. He wanted to go outside. He unlocked the back door in the kitchen and quietly went outside. He wanted to get a little view of her neighborhood.

He climbed a tree and took to the air. He wouldn't be gone long and he made a mental note of her house. His wings had just been aching to glide again. He explored her neighborhood more to just get a lay on the land, so to speak.

Elaine was up at 5:30 am. She just liked to be up this early so she could have a little time to get ready to go to work and have a little time for herself. She went to check on Brooklyn and found he was not on the couch. She went to the kitchen and found the back door wide open.

Brooklyn had given his word that he wouldn't leave! Elaine panicked and ran outside, looking for him.

"Brooklyn! Where are you?!" Elaine called out.

He didn't answer her call. He must have been a long way away. She sadly went back indoors and shut the door.

Brooklyn returned a while later and found the door locked. He saw the lights were on. He knocked. Elaine answered the door.

"Where were you? I looked for you. I thought you left me." She complained to him.

"I didn't leave. I just wanted to explore the neighborhood and know where your house was before dawn. It's just a gargoyle's nature to have to take a glide nearly every night." Brooklyn explained.

"Ok." She wasn't satisfied with his answer totally.

"I'm sorry I worried you. If there was trouble around here, I would go and help them too. That's a gargoyle's purpose." Brook stated. He was being honest with her.

"Alright. It just scared me that my savior had taken off when he said he wasn't going to leave me alone yet." Elaine declared. "Can you at least leave me a note?"

"Sure." He replied. Then a wave of nausea hit him. "Oh!" Brook moaned and had to sit down.

"What's wrong?"

"My stomach. Nausea. It happens on a nightly basis but at different times of the night." Brooklyn stated, holding his belly.

"You really should get a doctor to look at you if you've been having those episodes for so long."

"Later, I promise. My sleep will help it get better too," he said.

Elaine knew that she would need to get him some anti-nausea medicine and anti-dizziness medicine. It might help.

The two of them spent the rest of the morning together until Elaine had to go to work. "Go down to the basement when you're going into the stone sleep. I really don't want a mess in my living room or for folks to see you. I open my curtains in the daytime to let light in." she explained.

"I understand. I'll be there after sunset tonight. I kept track of how to get there from your car and traveling back to the bank where we met." Brooklyn stated.

He went to the basement while she headed out the door to her job. In the basement, Brooklyn knew that he would turn to stone anytime now. The effects might be delayed being down here but he had to be ready. It took effect soon enough. He felt it coming on and quickly took his pose.

For Elaine, it was going to be an anxious day. She knew that she might be questioned at work about what happened and that police would likely be there this morning after what happened last night. She was right.