Part 1

Brooklyn had been feeling lonely for quite a while. It was great living back in the castle again and the feud with Xanatos being over for good. There were many places to go in the castle when one sought to look for something to do, such as the living room, the library, or the kitchen.

He liked having the duty of being Second on Command to his leader, Goliath, but there was just something that was lacking in his life. Female companionship.

When Goliath had come back with Bronx and Elisa on the World Tour, they had brought back a beautiful female gargoyle. Goliath's daughter, Angela. When things started out among them, it seemed like she liked him. He had tried hard to win her heart, but in the end, she had ended up choosing Broadway. That thought made him growl in anger, eyes glowing.

He had also tried to win Maggie Reed's heart too, a Mutate human girl. She had chosen Elisa's brother, Derek, or Talon, as he was a Mutate too. But they remained friends and they lived in the sewers known at the Labyrinth. The Mutates had also taken in the clan's clones. Brooklyn wasn't so crazy for his clone, Malibu either.

Goliath had Brooklyn go out with him a lot so he could learn the duties that a leader would need to know on the job one day, should something happen to Goliath. Brooklyn had been the leader once, for a few months while Goliath, Elisa, and Bronx were on their quest. He knew what it was like to feel the burden of leadership.

But, when he was at home, it could be hard to find something to do to entertain himself. Hudson had the TV room quite a bit. Being the clan elder, his activities were very limited anymore. Bronx was often with him the most.

Lexington, his only remaining single rookery brother, was someone he could hang with, but the green one was babysitting or playing on the computer a lot too or making an invention. That left Brooklyn to his own devices.

He and his brothers used to be so close as best buds, but now, a female and technology came between them. They were still friends, but not like how they used to be. It was just part of growing up to be adult warriors with responsibilities.

Goliath was often reading when he was home or he was off with Elisa.

David Xanatos had Fox and his son, Alex. Owen the butler was always busy with something, whether it be babysitting Alex, training him as Puck, or attending to some other affair to do with Xanatos Enterprises.

Brooklyn really had no special friends. He had run away once, and made some friends with some kids, but he hadn't heard from them in a long time. There were still Quarrymen out there to worry about. Ever since the clan's exposure from Castaway, the threat seemed to grow and grow on them.

He knew his clan cared about him, but lately, he just felt largely ignored. But he wasn't going to run away again. It was better to try to find something to do in the castle but there just wasn't anything that was inspiring him these days. Not even his own music in his room seemed to make him happy.

Brooklyn got the nerve to go to the battlements. He felt the nice updrafts of the wind on his face and on his wings. His wings were aching for a glide.

Broadway and Angela were in the kitchen. Goliath was home tonight but reading in the library again. Lex was on the computer, and Hudson and Bronx were watching TV.

Brooklyn spread his wings and took off the battlement. He had to get away, to get some air. He would be careful out there. He knew he had to be back before sunrise. Goliath checked for the clan carefully before dawn. He didn't want them out there on their own, but the red one just needed the air. It was so suffocating at the castle without someone to hang with, particularly wanting a female to be with.