Part 32: Recaptured

Brooklyn was happy being back home and doing things he normally did, but he still felt an emptiness in his soul without a love of his own. He still often thought of Elaine and what she went through and hoped she was still okay. Was her family taking good care of her, or had she moved back to St. Louis? Hard to say.

At least his son was giving him something to look forward to, that he would have someone to love of his own, but not the same kind of love he would get from a mate. It would be the kind of love that Goliath and Angela shared, parent and child love. But Brooklyn would be getting the chance to raise his son from birth. His leader and current Second, Angela, had only known each other a little over a year and she had already been a young adult.

Angela hadn't been of the Trio's rookery hatching. She had been two generations downward, but with the one thousand year sleep on them and Avalon's tricky passage of time, Angela and her rookery had aged to where they were in the same age range as Trio. And Goliath hadn't objected to Broadway getting her as his mate.

Parents liked to be protective of their children to help guide them in the right direction. But still, they had to learn to let go just enough to where the young ones could get life experiences and learn from them. Sometimes there would be consequences for mistakes but they were also meant to be something to learn from too; and to hopefully not repeat those mistakes.

Brooklyn often thought about if he would make a good father. He knew he would hate to be the 'bad guy' on his son when he got into trouble. He didn't like to be angry and he had enough regrets in his life. He didn't want his son to hate him in any way. He hoped he would know how to discipline his son when he got old enough to know better of what he was doing.

Males often experienced being more childlike themselves versus the females that were much more mature with their children. Brooklyn knew he still had a happy-go-lucky side of himself. In good times, he could share that with his son. He really needed to decide on a name for him soon, too.

Brooklyn thought about back to the times he and his brothers were little and when they had fun playing at Wyvern Hill. They would play and get in trouble sometimes, but it wasn't that different from human kids getting in trouble from just being in the kitchen making a mess. But humans in those days were a lot less understanding. Prince Malcolm though and the Captain of the Guard were their allies for sure in those days.

The red male knew he would have many exciting tales to tell his son. His brothers would be able to tell him too. But all the clan would have many exciting tales to tell the little guy.

Brooklyn had begun reading some kid books to the baby so he got more used to hearing his voice and it also gave the father-to-be feeling like he had a purpose of a parent already. He was reading some of Alex's old baby books.

Even though he was off duties of nearly every kind for a while, Brooklyn felt he would stay and guard the castle. Bronx and Hudson were often the ones that still stayed here with him, but when Hudson came out, one of the others stayed too. Bronx found himself at Brooklyn's side a lot more, smelling a different kind of scent on his red master. He knew that special scent. It was of bringing new life. One time, Brook was lying on the couch watching tv with Hudson when Bronx decided to get up, sit down next to the couch and he laid his head on the round belly. He whined happily.

It took Brook by surprise. "Whoa! Hey, easy Bronx. Don't hurt the baby." Brooklyn said with a giggle. Bronx responded by licking his belly.

Hudson looked over too and he saw what the gar dog was doing. He laughed. "Ha! Ha! It's like he knows you have a baby in there!"

"Yeah, and that's great. I just don't want him to be on top of me or anything. He could hurt him without trying." Brooklyn replied. He let Bronx lay his head on top of his belly as long as he didn't try to climb on him any further. The baby kicked out at feeling the weight on top of him. Brooklyn felt it. He chuckled. "The baby just kicked me. He knows our pet is trying to make friends."