Part 21

In the coming days, it wasn't easy trying to talk to Elaine. Brooklyn tried his best to be there for her, but she was now putting him at a distance. Was it because he was a male? Because males had hurt her for no reason at all other than to just hurt her. But he hadn't been the one to hurt her at all. He had saved her from them yes, but not before they had harmed her physically and mentally.

Within two weeks, most of Elaine's physical injuries were healed, but her mentality wasn't good yet. She wanted her family.

One night, she just said to Brooklyn at dinner, "Brooklyn."

"Yes."

"I think it would be best for both of us if you left tonight." Elaine said.

"Why? I haven't done anything bad."

"I have liked having you around with me, but I need to go home to Nebraska to be with my parents. I'm not in any shape to take on relationships." Elaine explained. "Besides, you said that you need to get home to your clan. Perhaps it is best that you move on now."

Brooklyn couldn't believe this. "I understand, but why now? Couldn't I go with you and go from there?"

"No. This is a drive I need to do myself."

"Are you leaving tonight?" he asked.

"No. I'll wait till morning, but I just need you to leave tonight. I'll be glad to let you have as much food as you need for your journey. I had thought about taking you home myself, but not now."

"I'm sorry if I caused you any disturbance." He said sadly.

After dinner, he had to pack up food and water into a travel bag again. Items that at least didn't need refrigeration. At least he was leaving on a full stomach. He felt ashamed of himself for something he didn't know he did.

"Elaine, can I tell you something before I go?" he asked.

"What?"

"Elaine, I have enjoyed staying here with you. We grew quite close as friends. I... I even think that I started falling in love with you." Brooklyn told her. "I wouldn't desert you. You could even come with me to New York if you don't feel safe here."

The woman looked at him with stoic eyes. Her eyes had lost the brightness in them that they once had. "Brooklyn, I'm flattered you feel that way about me and yes, it was fun while it lasted. I grew to love you too, as a friend only though. We could never be together like that. But I really need time for myself to heal from what happened to me. I really need you to leave now." Elaine declared. "Have a safe trip."

Elaine hadn't wanted to hug or be touched ever since the incident. He thanked her for her hospitality, and he left her house. He was sad that he had to go.

As for the month, it was the middle of the end of the December. The 20th. The Solstice was tomorrow. Christmas was a few days away. Brooklyn wouldn't know if he would make it in time for Christmas. He had been gone for over four and a half months now.

It wasn't long after leaving the house that he got nauseated and had to get sick. He didn't want to leave, but what choice did he have now? He went to get rid of his breakfast and he reluctantly left.

Elaine started packing that night. She packed all her clothes and some favorite things. She had taken pictures of Brooklyn too while she had been with him. Tears came to her eyes that she had to send him on his way, but it was time he was off to his clan again. She did love him in her heart though. He had saved her life and protected her. He had been a good friend. If he didn't have a clan elsewhere, she would have been his only family. But little known to her was that there would have been a baby gargoyle on the way too.