Part 2: Chapter 12

Well, being discrete while walking through the f1 paddock is not really an option. A camera man is already taking pictures. God, I hope I make it there before Lando sees me. Max told me where to be, it takes me a while to find it. But I get there on time. I even have a special pass for press people. I sit and wait for a while before any drivers show up.

The press conference start with one empty chair, where the fuck is he? Typical Lando to be late at a thing like this. People start asking Max and another guy questions. It was luck Lando qualified second, because other wise he wouldn't have done this interview. This one is a special one for the guys who start first, second and third. Max already noticed me and started laughing.

A few minutes later Lando finally runs in. "Sorry. Sorry" he says as he sits down. People start asking questions. I don't how many questions these guys ask before I realize it's almost over. Shit, now I have to make him notice me. I mean, the whole point was to surprise him.

"My question is for Lando. You're starting second tomorrow. How do you plan to keep the Red Bull and Mercedes behind you?" I ask when there is a moment of silence. He looks confused, he doesn't see me yet but probably recognized my voice. "I'm sorry, who is asking the question? I'd like to see who I'm answering to" Lando says. I raise my hand. Lando bites his lip, trying to hold back his laughter. He really does look surprised. "Are you going to answer?" Max jokes. "Oh, yeah, uh, sorry of course. What was your question again?"

"How you're going to keep me behind" the other guys laughs. Oh yeah, now I recognize the other guy. It's Max his teammate. "Right. It's going to be hard, but I'm definitely going to try. I don't know if there's a chance at a podium, but I would love one" Lando answers.

"Thank you guys and good luck tomorrow" the guy who arranges the interviews says. Max, his teammate and Lando quickly stand up and leave the room.

Lando is waiting for me outside. "What are you doing here?" he laughs as he wraps his arms around me. "Thought I'd surprise you" I say. "I'm surprised, that's for sure."

"And I was done with school" I add. "Oh yeah, how did your tests go?" Lando asks.

"Well see" I say, trying to stay optimistic.

"I actually do have to go to the briefing and stuff, where are you staying?" Lando asks. "At the hotel with Max."

"Great, I have a room there too. Dinner when I'm finished? Max too?" Lando asks while he's being pulled away by his assistent. "Sure" I laugh.

I spot Max a little further on. "He was surprised" he laughs when I walk up to him. "He was" I smile. It's good to see Lando this happy. He wasn't this happy a few months ago. I shake that feeling.

"Oh my, I almost forgot, congrats" I say as I quickly give him a hug. "Pretty good race huh?" he laughs. "It was ok" I joke. Max drove amazing. "You go do your things, I'll find somewhere to sit until you're finished" I say as I turn around. "Hold on" Max quickly grabs my arm, "where do you think you're going?"

"You have meetings and stuff?"

"No. I have a party" he laughs as he drags me along. "You don't need to discuss the race?"

"What's there to discuss when everything went great?"

"I guess that's true" I laugh.

The next few hours I spent talking with people from Max his team, partying and drinking. Loads of drinking. When I begin to feel tipsy I decide this may be a good time to stop. There are camera man and interviewers everywhere. Max told me they couldn't get into the garage, but I feel like they see everything. "Ignore them" a guy I recognize as Alex says. I met him before, he's a friend of Max. "I don't know how you guys do that" I force out a laugh. "You get used to it" Alex says. "Maybe I don't want to get used to that" I say softly, not for anyone to hear. But Alex does hear. "Not even for Lando?" he bumps his shoulder against mine. "Maybe" I smile. I feel my phone vibrating in my jeans.

Lando 20:44 a.m.: I'm heading out. Want to keep partying or grab something to eat?

Mia 20:45 a.m.: Eat please. Be right there. Where are you?

Lando 20:45 a.m.: At the parking place

I look around and finally find Max. He's getting tipsy. "Hey! There you are" he says while wrapping his arm around my shoulder. "Yes, i'm actually gonna go. I'm going to eat something with Lando, see you at the hotel?"

"Sure, i'll be right there. Have fun" Max says. "Thanks."

"Don't do things I wouldn't do" he yells when I walk away. I shake my head, but can't help laughing. Idiot.

I walk through the paddock, trying to find the parking place. "Mia! How was the party?"

I turn around. Oh no, someone with his camera out follows me. He doesn't look like an interviewer or paparazzi. Just someone with a phone. "Great" I force out a smile. "What a podium, huh?" he asks. "Yes, pretty good."

"So where are you heading to?"

I'm so not going to answer that. "Out."

"Going to your boyfriend?" This guy is starting to freak my out. "Sure."

"I heard you guys aren't together anymore" he states. "Oh, really?"

"Would you ever get back together with your ex?" the guy asks. God, I finally get to the parking place. I see Lando standing outside of a car, waiting for me. He looks confused at the guy next to me. There is a security at the gate towards the parking place. "Can't go there sir" the security guard says, holding the guy back.

"At least answer my question" he yells when I walk through the gate.

"Depends on the ex" I say. Not sure if he even heard it or not, but I don't really care.