Not funny

Robbie sat at his desk trying to concentrate, but his mind kept wandering to Phoebe and Nash

Robbie sat at his desk trying to concentrate, but his mind kept wandering to Phoebe and Nash. Were they serious about their date? Phoebe had a thing for Nash, because he was a star.

Did Nash really like Pheebs?

She was beautiful, and she smelled sexy. Her musk scent had to be made with pheromones. It drove him crazy. The only thing keeping him sane was the smirk on Nash's face. The screen in front of him looked blurry as he thought of them together.

Nash was three years younger than him, so Phoebe was an appropriate age for him. He liked his friend, but he was the love 'em and leave 'em type. He would take what he wanted from pure, innocent Phoebe and go back to Nashville.

Every time he thought of Phoebe as innocent, his gut tightened. Look at what you did to be her first kiss. He felt like a pervert, but the thought of anyone else with her made him see green. He didn't feel any of the same angst when his sister told him about her fling. It was clear he didn't think of Phoebe as a little sister.

At lunchtime, instead of eating his sandwich, he texted Phoebe.

R: Are you really having dinner alone?

P: Are you jealous?

R: I don't want to eat alone.

P: I'll see if I can get you a date.

He didn't want a date.

R: Your friends are too young for me.

P: Whatever. I'll be in touch.

Their exchange did not go how he planned. He was hoping for three, not four. There was nothing he could do about it because he was at work.

He ended the day on Friday with a senior staff meeting. It was odd to be at the table with his father. Also he thought it was weird to meet on Friday afternoon, but the relaxed atmosphere in the conference room changed his mind. The agenda was a review of the week and the priorities for the following. When his father had told him hiring a CFO was on the top of his to do list, he imagined they had discussed it at the Friday meeting that week.

The meeting ended with a casual conversation about weekend plans. It was obvious they were all friends with a nice rapport. He felt like the new kid on the block.

Paige said, "I have my midyear dance recital." Robbie thought of Phoebe in her tutu.

Dan said, "One of my favorite events. Cecelia will start dancing next year."

Paige smiled a smile Robbie had never seen at work before. Others continued the conversation. His dad said something about organizing the basement and Christmas decorations.

"Robbie, what about you?"

Dan asked, "Will you surf?"

There were some comments, "surfing," and "January," and "freezing."