Fool

Nash wasn't sure what happened while he was speaking to Clyde

Nash wasn't sure what happened while he was speaking to Clyde. Everyone was going crazy in Nashville and in Maine. Tillie had been yelling in the background.

"Money buys everything."

Nash agreed. "Didn't Angel predict this outcome?"

"The shark knows this town better than anyone."

"Lemme." Tillie said, "Hey, Nashy. How's it up north?"

"Good. Cold. Relaxing." I kissed a sweet gal.

"Tell him Wes wants to talk to him."

"I heard him. I'll call Wes. Might be tomorrow cuz we got supper plans. I've been working on some songs."

"Baby, he says he's working on songs. Have you worked at all?"

"I got one in my head about a naggin' wife."

Nash laughed. "Lemme talk to him."

"So you're working up there."

"Got some inspiration. Go apologize to your wife in the bedroom."

Clyde laughed. "Don't freeze your nuts off. You might need 'em some day."

He just might. Nash laughed as he said, "Bye, y'all."

He stepped out, and Rob stopped pacing. He challenged Rob about Phoebe. For a smart guy, he was dense. Nash once wanted Savannah to look at him the way Phoebe looked at Rob. In Nash's opinion, Rob would be a fool if he didn't want her.

After Rob stormed out, Nash picked up his notebook.

Keeping her at arm's length won't protect a heart

He had been working on this song awhile. He took the notebook and guitar into the bedroom. His notebooks were like his journal. He didn't share them with anyone, not even Clyde. They included a lot of thoughts which might never be songs. He had been thinking about his relationship with his brother and how it had gone so wrong.

Savannah's visit had left him at a new beginning. Nash couldn't be the wounded one. He had wanted her but never claimed her. Instead, he had missed his chance. Her life had gone one way and his another. She wasn't the girl on the beach or his surfing partner anymore. The one place their lives intersected was Lawson.

Seeing his brother again reminded Nash just how much he missed him. The last thing he wanted him to do was fail. He'd throw every resource his way to ensure he didn't. It hadn't even been a week since Savannah showed up on his doorstep.

When they returned from Chattanooga, Nash watched as Savannah talked to Law in front of his house. His brother hated him so much he didn't want to step foot in his house. He saw the way Law looked at his wife with tenderness. Maybe Wesley was calling him about his brother, asking for some of his money.

A rap on the door took his thoughts away from lyrics. Morgan looked even prettier, if it were possible. She had a unique look. Morgan wasn't short, but she was curvier at the hips and other places, too. Her eyes mesmerized him.

"Where's Phoebe?"

"She's not coming. Something's wrong."

"I think her and Rob had words."

"I..."

Whatever she wanted to say, he didn't let her finish. Her pink lips were too tempting. She sighed when he captured her lips between his. He didn't know what he was doing, but felt a pull towards her. It was physical, for sure, but it was more. He wanted to peel back her layers. They both had twin issues, and she felt like a lifeline.

He dragged his lips from hers so he could see her eyes. "Your eyes are amazing."

She shook her head. "They aren't."

"Your sister is wrong. They draw me in. Maybe it's the twin thing. I don't know."

"Tell me about your brother."

He smiled and shook his head. "It would take all night. Tonight might be about Phoebe and my idiot friend."

He took her hand and led her to the sofa. When they sat, she curled up against him. He had been missing being close to a soft body.

"Does he like her?"

"He does, but he's hung up on the age difference."

"How many years?"

"I think six."

She sat up. "How old are you?"

"Twenty-five."

"That's good."

"I'm glad. Hey, will you take me to pick up the food when it's time?"

"Okay. Don't change my radio to country."

"No, ma 'am."

"You're so sweet."

They kissed again as time stood still. At the sound of the door opening, they pulled apart.

Rob appeared and looked around. "Where's Pheebs?"

Morgan responded as Nash gave him a similar look to the ones he had for Tyler when he was with Cayla. Instead of get away from her, his message was go get her. The fool caught on and went back out the door.

"I hope Phoebe's okay."

"Me too. I've never hit a friend before."

She giggled. "You wouldn't."

"No darlin', I'm a lover, not a fighter."

He tasted her lips again. His fingers were itching to explore her curves, but he didn't know how long Rob would be.

She pulled away. "Tell me one thing about your twin."

"He married my best friend, our best friend. I went away to school, and they stayed behind."

"Did you love her?" He nodded. "Do you still?"

"No. Not anymore."

Morgan nodded and frowned.

"You need to tell me about your sister."

"It'll take all night."

He recognized the pain in her mismatched eyes. She hugged him and sat quietly with her head on his shoulder. He moved his hand up and down her back. The repetition relaxed him, like strumming a guitar.

"We're a pair. I wonder if he's making things right."

If you like please vote 🌟