Complicated

The weekend took a turn when Nash told Morgan about Almost Heaven. By the time Robbie and Phoebe returned from shopping, Morgan had left, and Nash ignored Phoebe when she asked about Morgan. Instead of looking up, he continued to strum on the strings and jot in his notebook.

Without a word, Phoebe left and went home before Robbie finished putting the perishables in the fridge. He turned around, and she was gone. His loud sigh caused Nash to look at him.

"Sorry if she caused trouble for you."

"I don't want to talk to her about it. She'll ask questions I don't have answers to. It's between me and Morgan."

"I'll give you space."

Rob wanted to surf, but he needed to check on Phoebe first. He knocked and used his key when she didn't answer. Once again, she was curled up watching the TV.

"Hey."

"What?"

"Nash isn't mad at you. He didn't want to talk. He doesn't have answers. Did you reach out to Morgan?" Phoebe shook her head. "You should."

"She's probably mad at me, too."

"Pheebs, none of this is your fault. You set the timeline, not the facts. I think we both know he should have told her before they spent the night together."

Phoebe picked at her nail polish. "Why's it so complicated?"

"Sometimes it is and sometimes it isn't. Feelings make things complicated. The more you care, the harder it is."

"She has to care. She never would have, if she didn't. Is he just using her?"

Rob shook his head. "He acts like he cares, too."

"Are we complicated?"

Rob chuckled. "You're not. I've known how you felt for years."

She smiled. "How do I feel?"

He walked right into a setup. Should he be totally honest? Not unless he was ready to reciprocate. "You like me a lot."

He kissed her forehead before moving on to her lips, hoping to change the subject. It took months before he felt the emotion for Cayla that Phoebe wanted. It scared him to think he might already feel deeper about Phoebe. She had embedded her way in like a parasite years ago. Maybe parasite wasn't the right word.

She pouted. "Wrong. More than a lot."

"Some words need longer than a week to say." He almost said feel, but she would argue she felt them.

She sat forward. "Do you think Morgan did it with Nash without love?"

"Pheebs, it doesn't need love. Love just makes it better."

Only one part of his anatomy didn't want to wait. If Phoebe saved herself for him, she deserved more. She deserved his heart. Unlike with Cayla, Robbie was certain if he gave Phoebe his heart, she would never let it go.

"I know." She frowned. "Maybe I should check on Morgan."

"She may need a friend. Pheebs, do you want me to stay?"

"No. Will I see you later?"

"It's a date, but first I'd like to catch a few waves."

He leaned over and kissed her.

On Saturday evening, Robbie walked on eggshells, because Phoebe was subdued and Nash was mopey. He and Phoebe cooked dinner for three at the cottage. Robbie wanted to ask if Nash heard from Morgan, but was afraid to upset him.

After a somber meal, Nash took his guitar into his room. Phoebe's eyes glistened in the light, and Robbie pulled her in and held her. He smoothed her hair and kissed the top of her head.

"What did Morgan say?"

"She's confused. He asked her to go to LA with him for the Grammys. What's confusing about going to see famous musicians?"

Rob laughed. "Has she called him?"

"She didn't say."

Phoebe tilted her chin and brushed her lips against his. When she looked sad and vulnerable, he wanted to protect her.

"I know what will cheer you up."

"What?"

"Cribbage!"

She smiled. "Strip cribbage?"

"No!"

Phoebe laughed.

Nash appeared while Robbie was counting, moving one peg in front of the other on the wooden board. "Can I borrow your car?"

"Yeah."

Phoebe said, "Do you know where you're going?"

He held up his phone. Robbie pointed to the counter. "The keys. You good?"

"Yeah. Thanks, man."

"Hey, text me if you aren't coming back."

"Are you my momma?"

"Forget it. There's a house key on the ring. I'll lock the door."

Nash left without another word. Robbie said, "See they're talking."

"Unless he comes right back."

"Pheebs, my money's on not seeing him until tomorrow."

Phoebe let out a long sigh. "Okay, keep going. I want to beat you again."

If you like please vote 🌟