Not home

Some days, Rob missed home more than others. Holidays were at the top of the list. Thanksgiving for the Taylors meant a crowd. Aunt Karen hosted and there was the kids' table and the adult's table. They ate in shifts, so the kids' table turned into the teens' table, although his generation of cousins were all adults.

The menu had all the standard traditions with extras like cornbread pudding. Because of the number of people, the pie selection was vast with pumpkin, apple, pecan, blueberry, custard, and even Aunt Marianne's cheesecake.

He was spending his Thanksgiving at the Haywoods. The help would serve the meal to them. Although good, it would be more gourmet and less home cooked traditional.

Rob wouldn't complain, because he and Cayla had been getting along great. Whatever caused his disenchantment with their relationship had vanished. He felt closer to her than he had in July. Maybe he was happier because of his bromance with Nash. He enjoyed hanging out with him. They even did a couples dinner with the song writer Scarlett in August.

Almost Heaven had been on tour since September first, so Rob and Nash only texted on and off. Rob used his friend card for tickets and passes to the show in Boston. He had been to the Garden many times for concerts, Celtics and Bruins games. He received a thank you text and a picture of Nash with his arm around Phoebe and a guy on Nash's other side. She looked great, but he felt betrayed because she brought a date. And the guy looked too damn happy.

He simply responded, you're welcome. Later he had to deal with Nash, who texted about his hot neighbor. Maybe he was glad she was with a date so Tyler wouldn't hit on her.

Almost Heaven ended their tour in time for Thanksgiving. Nash was celebrating with Clyde and Tillie, but they planned see each other at Beau's on Saturday evening. It was the first of his many holiday parties.

Cayla stepped out of the bathroom in just a robe as he stood in his boxers looking in their walk-in closet. His clothes took up half of one side and hers filled the rest. He didn't know what to wear. At home, he'd wear a sweater and maybe even jeans.

He turned to her. "What should I wear?"

"I think you look good the way you are, but we'll eat in the dining room."

She laughed and stepped past him. In a matter of moments, she selected an oxford cloth shirt and dress pants. The shirt had a pinstripe in a light red she called pink.

He looked almost as preppy as her daddy. Cayla chose a navy dress with a plunging neckline. She stepped into her dress as he buttoned his shirt. She turned her back to him. He reached over and pulled up her zipper. Rob leaned over her as she looked in the full-length mirror.

"You're beautiful." He looked up at the reflection of the two of them. "We look good."

She laughed. "You need pants. No hanky-panky or we'll be late."

As he stepped into his pants, she put on earrings. "Who will be there?"

"No one. My mother is feeling well." She sounded disappointed.

He smiled. Vivian didn't eat in the dining room often. Cayla's expression didn't match his. Mother and daughter weren't close. They were nothing like his mother and Lily.

As always, a maid answered the door. Rob would have walked right into his parents' house, even Aunt Karen's. Vivian was already downstairs. Rob rarely saw Beau and his wife together, but they appeared surprisingly intimate.

Vivian smiled at Cayla. "Darling, you look beautiful."

"Momma." Her voice was lukewarm.

Rob leaned over and kissed the older woman's cheek. She placed her warm hand on his cheek. "You're a good boy."