Q & A

This is chapter 30 of Almost Heaven

This is chapter 30 of Almost Heaven. I may migrate the entire book here.

Nash hit it off with Phoebe right away. She was fun and smart. Although she was a fan, she treated him like he was normal. He needed more friends, and she secured a position on a very short list.

He was on the verge of losing a friend if he didn't let up on his grip on Rob's nuts. It was too much fun watching the guy squirm. Nash knew his friend wanted Phoebe. Of the three of them, he'd bet a grand Rob was the only one who didn't know. Rob probably did, but was too hung up on the age difference. He felt guilty when Rob pulled Phoebe from the room. He would like to be a fly on the wall. There were enough emotions flying around for three songs, and they hadn't even sat down to eat.

Nash turned to Morgan. She was a pretty girl with blond hair, which in the light had different colors running through it, browns and reds. It had a wave, and he had the odd desire to wrap his finger around it.

"What's going on?" Her voice was soft. Whatever was being discussed in the other room was also done quietly.

He chuckled. "What did she tell you?"

She shook her head. "Just she was having a dinner party and needed to even out the numbers. Are you two?"

He shook his head. "She's trying to make Rob jealous."

Morgan laughed. "I think it worked."

He stared at her face. He hadn't noticed before, but her eyes were two different colors. One was brown and the other blue. "Your eyes are unique."

She cleared her throat and picked up her wine. A pink covered her cheeks, but her full lips darkened by the red wine caught his gaze. He stepped aside and poured himself a glass. He wanted to taste it, and off her tongue wasn't the best option. It had been a good four months since his thing with the songwriter. Phoebe was taller, but Morgan was curvier, and he had to stop thinking with his small head.

Phoebe walked into the room with a scowl. "Dinner's ready. Oh good, Nash, you have some wine."

She poured herself a large glass. She looked like she might guzzle it. Rob appeared looking rattled, too.

"Everything okay?" Nash smiled his star smile.

He nodded. "I'm hungry. Pheebs, can I carry the manicotti to the table?"

She nodded and reached into the fridge for a salad bowl. "Morgan, grab another bottle. We'll need it."

Nash chuckled. Maybe some wine would do both her and Rob some good. She was nothing like the Haywood girl, but she fit better with Rob and not just physically.

Nash carried Rob's wineglass and sat down next to Morgan. He and Phoebe had discussed seating arrangements early, and she had wanted him next to her. She raised an eyebrow at him but said nothing.