On stage

June, a year later

Nash stood on stage after soundcheck, looking out at the empty seats. It was three hours before the last concert of an amazing tour. Their new album was a smash. It was filled with all the songs inspired by his trip to Maine and the love of his life. He admired the outside venue with its great stage. It was the first time they played in New Hampshire. On the bus driving in, he googled where they were. They passed a beautiful lake with a long name, Winnipesaukee.

Morgan wasn't with him on the bus. She was taking care of things in Maine. He would see her later because she was riding over with the others. They would have a caravan of hired cars driving to Maine after the show.

When he walked backstage, Tillie smiled at him. "How're you doing, Nashy?"

"I'm excited. I wish it was time to take the stage."

He retreated to his dressing room to chill away from the chaos. Everyone had jobs to do, except the musicians. He had time before the meet and greet. They had given a lot of passes to local radio stations to use as giveaways. Nash would do his part, but he had his own VIPs coming to the show.

He sat upright at the knock on the door. "Come on in."

His favorite sight walked through the door, followed by Phoebe and Rob. She had settled into Nashville life, as evidenced by her outfit, short shorts and a flowing top and her broken in boots. He had seen her three days before but missed her.

"Hey, baby." He held her. He turned to their friends. "Pheebs, you look great." He hugged her before grasping Robbie's hand and pulling him into a man hug.

Robbie smiled at him. "You all set?"

"Yup. You?"

Both men nodded at each other. Nash barely had time with his friends when another knock came. He had to go meet his fans, but first, he kissed Morgan. "The others aren't here yet?"

"Don't worry. I'll find Wes. He'll know."

It took forever to pose for pictures and sign his autograph. He had just enough time to change his shirt and piss before he had to be on stage, but he ran into Wes.

"They're all here. Everyone's in their seats. Security knows the plan. Y'all are gonna have a great show."

Clyde met him on the edge of the stage as they waited for their cue. They walked out to screaming fans. He could only see the first few rows, but they were there in the front. Morgan and Tillie were together. The two ladies were like sisters. It was good because Morgan's rift with her family grew bigger when she moved south to live with a musician.

Robbie and Phoebe were there, but also his family. He smiled at Law. It was his first concert. Their twin bond was strong again. He opened his own business, fixing small machines, and was doing well. If Nash looked in the mirror, Law would look younger than him. After four months on tour, Nash was flat out exhausted. One more day, and he could stay in bed all day for two weeks. He smiled at Savannah with her round belly. In three months, he would have a nephew. His momma was with the girls. The two of 'em kept growing like weeds.

He laughed because behind the crowd in the second row was Cayla Haywood. Robbie said she wouldn't come to Maine, but if she made it to New Hampshire, she would head to Maine next. He hoped she enjoyed the show.

In the last set of the evening, they sang 'Cowboy don't like beaches'. Then Nash stood at the microphone to announce the next song.

"Two of my best friends are here tonight. They live in this cold north. I know because I spent part of a cold winter up with 'em. I grew up surfing in warmer southern waters, but my friend surfs in your frigid ocean. Some of y'all might recognize the unknown surfer guy. Come on up here. I wanna sing a special song for y'all."

He watched as Robbie pulled Phoebe up. Morgan looked at him, and he winked at her. He hadn't told her about this part of the show. While he was waiting, he said, "Clyde and I have our lady loves here tonight." He blew Morgan a kiss, and a thousand girls screamed.

He turned to his friends. "I wrote this song for them."

He sang unplugged alone with just his guitar. The tempo was slow. It had already made the list for the most popular wedding songs of the year. He sang the words, repeating the chorus three times.

"When I close my eyes, I see her dancing just for me. Too old for a tutu. I see the woman she's become and not the little girl she was. She's dancing in white in my arms tonite."

Phoebe was enthralled and held both hands over her mouth. When the song ended, Robbie dropped to his knee. He and Nash had planned it.

The audience was quiet, but Robbie whispered. He opened the small box he held in his hand and must have said the right words. Phoebe nodded, and the crowd erupted as Robbie and Phoebe kissed. Only one audience member wasn't smiling and clapping. It was odd because Robbie told Nash Vivian Haywood knew he was planning to propose.

Pratt motioned the happy couple off the stage, and Clyde started the next song. At the end, they would leave the stage to go through the motions of an encore. It was a game because they need to played the hit song that Tyler had wanted to mess with the tempo and the drums. Their playlist was a little different because the last song of the night would be the one he wrote for Morgan. He sang it to her when he asked her to marry him. He knew better than to ask her in front of others, but Morgan wasn't Phoebe. From the beaming in the front row, it looked like Robbie got it right.

When they finally started their last song, he started his typical thank you to their fans one last time. "This is a special night because my whole family is here."

Clyde interrupted. "There's a special reason all the Kirklands are here, and my boy, Nash, is debuting this special song tonight..."

Question: Do you think I should move all the chapters to Almost Home? As a reader would you find it weird to have the first chapters with very few reads?