Bromance

Nash was the coolest musician Rob had ever met. Rob wasn't happy with Cayla, because she stepped away from him the first chance she had. She liked to look professional, which apparently meant musicians, not boyfriends, could touch her. Rob smiled as he sent the picture to Phoebe. He had her number, but had never texted her.

"Come on. Let's sit down and see who makes an ass of themselves." Nash smirked. "I hate parties. I know they're an occupational hazard, but I do it for the music."

Rob joined him. "I didn't even know I was coming to a party. I thought we were stopping by on the way home."

"Are you and Beau Haywood's daughter serious?"

"We've been living together for four years. We've talked about the next big step."

"I didn't see you on the Fourth."

Rob shook his head. His phone vibrated. He peeked at her reply before deleting it.

P: You touched me and you touched Nash 😍

He returned his attention to Nash. "Your fan is very happy. She's the kid across the street." Nash laughed. "I went to visit my family last week. I just flew in a few hours ago."

"Up north?"

"Yeah. Maine. Is that north enough?" Nash chuckled. "I didn't grow up there. We have a cottage by the beach."

"I grew up at the beach. Nothing like it, except my last trip I got sand in my cowboy boots."

Rob laughed and slipped off his shoe and banged the heel against his palm. He tipped it over and a trickle of sand fell into his hand. He had only worn them on the beach the night he went out with Reed.

"Like that?"

"I'm jealous. No wonder you're so tan. Is the water as cold as I've heard."

He nodded. "We're a hardy bunch. My old wet suit didn't fit anymore, so I froze on my board."

"Your board. Do you surf up there?"

"Yup. It was my first time in years."

"It's been seven for me. I'm not sure I'd know how."

"It's like riding a bike." Maybe not so easy. "They surf in the winter with the right gear."

"Country musicians aren't supposed to surf."

"Neither are accountants, but I do."

Nash looked up at the house. Rob followed him. Vivian was on her balcony. Rob looked for Beau, but he must have gone inside. All day he had a piece of eye candy on his arm that looked about Phoebe's age.

Nash asked, "Have you met Mrs. Haywood?"

Could he see her hiding up there? "I visited with her today. She's a lovely woman. She'd like you, although she doesn't like guests."

"Rumor around town is she's crazy."

"False. She's saner than you and me. Her ailments are physical."

It bothered him how neither husband nor daughter squashed the rumors about Vivian. He suspected the gossip enabled Beau to see women without disapproval. Nashville viewed him as poor Beau Haywood for staying with his wife. Cayla just did what Daddy asked.

Twenty-four hours before he was on The Point. He boarded the plane, determined to make his relationship work. He hadn't even been home, and he stared at all the things he hated about his life.

When they arrived home, it was almost eleven. He hadn't said a word in the car. Truthfully, he couldn't think of anything nice to say, except maybe about meeting Nash and Clyde.