Little dumplin'

Phoebe's admission hit home.

He would never have Savannah, and he came to freeze his gonads off to accept it once and for all. Even if she left Lawson, he just didn't see her as his anymore. He saw enough in the few minutes with his brother to see they had something he wasn't a part of, a family. He knew about them being family, but it was more. His brother loved her, although Savannah may not feel it.

Phoebe sighed. "But he insists I'm too young."

"You look grown up to me. Do you think we can make him jealous?"

Phoebe smiled. "We could try. You should know I forced him to date me. It was blackmail."

"Holy moly! How'd yah do that?"

"I told him if he didn't, he would have to give me a New Year's kiss. Your visit is perfect, because I can hang out with you and him and it won't count as one of our ten dates."

"Ten dates! I'd never last that long. What are you aiming for?"

"My goal is to get him to kiss me and his is to not kiss me."

Nash laughed. "Now I'm glad I came. I wasn't keen on the cold, but we're gonna have fun."

"I hope you know the cottage is pretty small."

"It can't be much smaller than my house."

"Seriously? You can afford a mansion!"

"I don't live in one. So what's our plan? Should I take you out?"

"We can start by talking about the fun we had all day. Did you want to walk down to the beach? I could drive you, but you can't see over the dunes."

"Can we drive and get out?"

"Sure. You ready."

"I am, my little dumplin'."

Phoebe puckered her face. "Dumping?"

"Pumkin'?" She scrunched up her face. 'Sugah?"

"Better. Robbie slips and says darling."

"I call everyone darlin'."

"Guys up here just say baby or babe or honey."

"I say, honey."

"Brady calls Lilly, she's Robbie's sister, tiger."

"I don't wanna know."

"It's because her dad calls her flower, like a lily. So lily, tiger lily, tiger."

"My mind was in the bedroom."

Phoebe blushed. "Enough of this. To the beach."

When Nash got out of the car, he heard the surf and felt the wind blow right through him. He pulled out his knit beanie and put it on. The dune grass was yellow, and the sea looked angry. He watched a few waves crest and wasn't sure he wanted to brave the freezing water to ride them.

He stood for a few minutes before turning around. She followed.

"I'll take you to the cottage. I can give you space or keep you company."

"We need to be together when Rob comes home. I don't mind. I might play a little."

"You promised to let me hear the song."

"Right, I did."

They had a quiet afternoon. The house was about the same size as his place. He only had two bedrooms, but both and his kitchen were bigger.

At quarter after five, she jumped up. "He's here."

"Sit here, Sugah."

She sat beside him and he put his guitar in her hands. Then he reached around and held her right hand in his to strum with it. They looked cozy when his friend walked in.

Rob looked from one to the other with narrow eyes. "Good. You've made yourself at home."

"We've had fun. Right, Sugah. We had a nice lunch and went to the beach. She showed me my bedroom. The bed's nice, isn't it?"

Robbie's hands were fisted for a moment until he smiled. "Nice try, but it's not working."

"What's he talking about, Sugah?"

"I don't know. I liked my guitar lesson. Thanks." She leaned in to kiss his cheek.

"You smell pretty."

Phoebe smiled. "Thank you. Robbie, why don't you ever compliment me?"

She stood up and walked over to him. "How was day four?"

He looked from her to Nash and back to her. "It was fine. I still like it. I had lunch with my dad."

Phoebe laughed. "If you're in a meeting with other people, what will you call him?"

"I don't know? Seriously, Pheebs. It's not a big deal. Everyone knows we're related."

"Unless they're blind."

Nash watched the sparring. He was glad he made the trip. Rob said, "What did you think of the beach?"

"Freezing. I don't know if I can do it."

"It's up to you, but we can borrow a board. You would need a wetsuit."

"Could he borrow one?"

"From who?"

"The Bennetts or Reed."

"I was thinking of Reed's board, but suit? I don't know?"

"You should ask him."

Nash joined in. "I'll surf with you, Sugah."

Phoebe laughed. "I don't surf."

Rob said, "I plan to change that this summer."

"No way!" Phoebe shook her head.

Nash interrupted. "What are you planning?"

Robbie said, "I can cook like you did for me."

"Nash, you cook?"

He laughed. "Macaroni with jarred sauce."

"It's that or takeout. Unless Pheebs, do you want to cook for us?"

"Not me. I can do better, but I'd need to shop and plan."

Nash said, "Start planning. We have a date tomorrow night and you're cooking me dinner, Sugah."

Phoebe smiled, and Rob made fists again.