Six years earlier

Six years earlier...

Robbie Taylor was a nice guy. At twenty-one, he was on the cusp of adulthood. One more year at Vanderbilt and he'd graduate with an accounting degree. A lot of his friends were studying for their GMATs and planning to apply for graduate school. Robbie didn't want an MBA. He wanted to pass the CPA exams and start working. His father had paid his college tuition, so it was time to stand on his own two feet.

Because he was a nice guy, he saw the toll having two kids in college put on his folks. They both worked long hours and although Robbie couldn't put his finger on it, there had been changes in both. His mother looked sad when she didn't think anyone was looking, and his father acted a little over the top when hosting his large family on weekends.

Robbie would worry more if he wasn't twenty-one and focused on himself. It was his last summer before adulthood snatched away his carefree months spent on the beach. In the future, his time at their cottage on The Point would be limited to weekends and two weeks of vacation.

Because he was a nice guy, he offered to drive his neighbor and her two friends to Splashtown, one of the local water parks. He was off on Monday with no plans, so when he witnessed Phoebe begging the evening before, he spoke up.

Often on Sundays, his parents waited until the traffic lightened to drive home to Massachusetts. The time between their relatives leaving and his parents departure was the most relaxing part of the weekend.

Betsy Caron, their across the street neighbor, sat in their yard visiting and rehashing the weekend. His sister, Lily and the Caron's oldest daughter, also Lilli, were on the beach. Robbie was content to sit with the adults. He could even drink a cold beer, since he was legal.

He witnessed the begging. Betsy had a meeting to attend, so no one in the Caron family could drive the teen. Betsy rarely worked in the summer, because she was a professor at a local university. Her husband, Adrian had a business trip and already left for the Jetport. Lilli was scheduled to work at The Landing.

"Why can't Grace or Ava's parents drive?"

"They work."

"Join the club."

"But Mom."

Her blue eyes looked dulled with sadness. Robbie hated to see Phoebe cry, which was something she had done often growing up in the shadow of the two Lilies. She was four years younger than her sister and no matter how hard she tried, she could never keep up. Robbie found her trying entertaining and sad at the same time. He often stepped in to help the spunky girl and was teased for spoiling her. He didn't care.

"I'm off. I can drive you."

She turned to him and smiled. "Really, do you mean it?"

"Yeah, why not? I've got nothing better to do. Since it's my last week and I haven't been all summer, I'll even stay. That's if you and your friends will hang with me."