Christmas

Robbie woke and stretched in the full size bed. It was his bedroom, but he hadn't slept in it in years. Relatives always took it over. He had driven for over eighteen hours with a stopover. It was a drive he'd be happy to never repeat.

He was home. It had been a week since he left Cayla and he would lie if he said he didn't think of her. She would be busy getting ready for Beau's huge Christmas Eve bash.

Why didn't people want to stay home and enjoy the holiday with their families?

Nash had no family except Clyde and Tillie. Wouldn't Clyde and Tillie rather stay home to tuck their kids in after leaving out milk and cookies? Maybe they were too young for the ritual. Robbie wasn't an expert on kids.

His family would stop by the Evans's open house, but they still had a family dinner planned. The Evans's house would be filled with neighbors and friends, not business associates.

Maybe the difference was with Beau, everything was about business. Robbie could never figure out if his eye candy was business or pleasure.

The cottage felt like Christmas, with the tree in the corner. In their old house, they had a massive tree, but he liked the homey feel of the cottage. There was nothing homogeneous about their tree. Each ornament was a memory. His mom was baking when he stepped out of his room. His parents had stayed up until he arrived close to eleven.

"I can't believe you're here for good."

He thought her smile might crack her cheeks.

"Thank Dad. I planned to come for Christmas, but without the job, I would have gone back."

Robbie patted him on the back as he put the Landing coffee in the microwave to heat.

"Any regrets, son?"

"No. I thought I would." He smiled as he took the cup out and sipped. "I can have this every morning."

"Did you read the fine print on your offer? You need to bring the Director of HR a cup of coffee every morning."

Robbie laughed. "Isn't that undue influence?" Rob laughed. "A lot of questionable things went on in Nashville. I joked about my money lending clients being the mafia, but they just swindled their customers with exorbitant interest rates."

"No bats and crowbars in the closet?"

"Rob! That wasn't funny!"

"Sorry Chell." He kissed her cheek.

"Cayla got in a pickle. She stuck her nose into a place it shouldn't have been. It caused someone to complain to her daddy. That's awkward for the employee. I promise not to cause anyone to complain and if they do, you can treat me fairly."

"I trust you, son. Don't worry."

He was slow to shower and dress. It was cold outside, so he wore a sweater. Lily and Brady arrived full of smiles. He liked them together. His sister didn't have to work until Christmas evening at seven.

"When I'm a nurse practitioner, my hours will be better. We can hang out."

"I had no one to hang with when Cayla was busy. I made a new friend just in time to leave."

Everyone was talking, and he pulled out his phone.

R: Merry Christmas. I made it to Maine.

He copied the message and sent it to Cayla, too.

N: You're home for Christmas. Have a good one.

Cayla's response came an hour later.

C: Thanks for letting me know. Merry Christmas.