Miss you

Phoebe Caron had tried to act casual all week, but she was hyperaware of his presence. What started as a crush when she was thirteen turned into an obsession and then love.

The only reason she went to the Beach House was because she overheard Chellie say Robbie had gone. Any other time, she would never have gone alone, but she did with the purpose of seeing Robbie.

He confused her when he was glad to see her, even though he had a girlfriend. Phoebe had met his girl once. She was pretty, but her most distinguished feature was across her chest. Even though she teased him, Phoebe was thrilled with what God gave her.

She remembered the moment she found out about his girlfriend. Lilli was home from Saint Joe's for the long weekend in October and their family was enjoying dinner. Her mother had made lasagna. She was half Italian and an amazing cook. Lasagne was Phoebe's favorite.

"Robbie..." Phoebe's head turned at the mention of his name. "... has a girlfriend. He sent Lily pictures."

Betsy said, "That's nice. He's a good kid. He'll treat her right. You girls should look for personality, not looks."

She wanted to argue because he was beyond good looking. Instead, she shifted her food on her plate and escaped the table as fast as she could. Once in the privacy of her own room, she let the tears fall. She took out her prized possession, the bracelet he had worn on their magical day together. It felt like a date, even though it only ended with a hug.

Later, Lilli knocked on her door and opened it without waiting for a response. "What's wrong?"

"Nothing. I was just watching a movie." She lied.

"Which one?"

She dug deeper. "The Fault In Our Stars."

"That'll do it. Hey, do you want to see his girl? She's got big ones."

Did she? No! She nodded anyway. She hardly looked at her because he was there, smiling.

"They're big right?" She nodded. "She's pretty. I guess she makes sense. She's shorter and blond like Lily."

Feeling spiteful, she said, "She doesn't look naturally blond."

Lilli agreed. "Why do short girls get picked? We're doomed."

Phoebe was doomed regardless of her height. The man she loved chose someone else.

He spent the week across the street without his girlfriend. Phoebe wasn't a kid anymore. She was legal. Twenty-two allowed her to drink for a year, although she wasn't a big drinker. She went to the same university where her mother taught. When she was underage, getting caught drinking wouldn't be cool. Having changed her major from occupational therapy to nutrition, she was on the five-year plan.

Maybe it was because she had been trying to keep up with the Lilies since she could walk, but she always acted older than she was. Ever since she turned thirteen, she hoped he would notice her. He did for fleeting moments, but never like the magical day they spent together. Phoebe still remembered sharing fries and the look of her toned, smooth legs against his muscular, hairy ones as they sat on rafts together.

Phoebe spent time getting ready. The trick was to look like she hadn't tried too hard. She looked at herself in the mirror. Her shorts made her legs look extra long. Her tank top was casual, but it hugged all the right curves. She could never compete with the girlfriend. She adjusted her tank, making a bit of lace from her bra suggestively show in the scoop going up to the strap.

She felt nervous going alone. As she stepped onto the crowded deck, she contemplated vying for Reed's attention. Although he was good looking, he wasn't Robbie. Lilli should go after Reed since he lived near Boston.