Lonely

Phoebe woke late in the empty house

Phoebe woke late in the empty house. Maybe she should have asked Morgan to stay over.

Groaning, she thought about her evening. It hadn't gone the way she had planned. It was awful, but Morgan got a kiss and Phoebe didn't. She should have taken one after Robbie snapped. It was so obvious he was jealous. A girl wanted a guy who made the first move, and she didn't want to wait until Nash left.

The mood of the evening changed after Robbie saved her from admitting her first kiss was at twenty-two. Morgan would have assumed Sawyer. If Phoebe lied, she would have dissed Robbie, but she couldn't tell the truth. Robbie was still with his ex girlfriend.

When Chellie called to invite her to dinner on Sunday, she had mentioned how she was glad he was home and not with Cayla anymore.

"A mother knows and I could tell she didn't love him the way he loved her. Relationships need to be balanced. Lily took a break from Brady, and now they're balanced."

Phoebe wanted to be balanced, even though it stung to hear he loved his ex. She felt balanced when they washed the dishes together. The mundane task broke down their walls. She felt the closest to him in the kitchen.

She got out of bed, still groggy, and made her way to the bathroom. Before she peed, she glanced at herself in the mirror. What would Robbie think if he ever woke up beside her? Her belly took a dip with her thoughts. Would he run from her messy hair? She ran her fingers through it. Her mascara left black smudges. Did he even notice she wore more makeup than usual? Only Nash told her she looked nice.

Nash and Morgan! How did that happen?

Maybe it was the twin thing, but she never would have guessed Morgan would like Nash. She worried about Morgan getting hurt. Nash wasn't in Maine forever. Phoebe felt guilty for being part of a lie of omission. Morgan had no clue Nash was a country music star.

She waited until afternoon before she texted Nash.

P: What are you doing?

N: Working. Want to go see R surf?

P: UR not?

N: Too cold

P: When?

N: He just left.

P: Ok

When Phoebe knocked on the cottage door, she held her father's warm down coat. Nash resisted borrowing it, but persistence was her talent.

"So... You and Morgan?"

"So?"

"Go easy. She's not like your groupies or Nashville women."

"I don't have groupies. I never. It's not my thing to hookup with a random fan."

"But you're not staying."