Honey

The causeway opened at low tide the day after the storm, which forced everyone to take the day off. The Point children had an extra day off from school and their parents called out from work. Dan was understanding, since his father was stranded on The Point too.

Robbie didn't mind. He had Phoebe. They curled up together and spent the night in her bed. He drifted off as one last thought filled his head. We fit together.

Midmorning Phoebe was dressed, while he was in his boxers, looking at his phone. Social media was blowing up with Nash and Morgan. It included some unfavorable pictures of Morgan published by her sister. They had gone viral. Phoebe had gone off when she saw them. Rob could see sparks coming out of her as she paced.

"That's not Morgan. When has she ever posed like that or made those faces?"

"Never."

"I bet it's her sister. This is crazy. I'm so glad I don't have a twin!"

"Honey, the world can only handle one you." He quickly added, "And I'm the lucky guy who gets to handle all of you."

"You are extremely lucky." She smiled, and his boxers did little to hide his reaction. "Come on, get dressed."

"Why?" He thought he was overdressed for the activity on his mind.

"I'm going to The Landing."

"Are you hungry?"

"Not, really." She sighed. "I keep forgetting you aren't from here. Everyone gathers after a storm."

"Okay, but if I'm getting dressed and going outside, I should check on the cottage."

He hadn't been inside since he left the day before.

"Let's go." Phoebe clapped her hands.

"I feel like I'm in Kindergarten."

Phoebe grabbed his butt. "If I'm the teacher, I just got fired."

Robbie laughed all the way upstairs, where he pulled on his jeans and sweater. Phoebe waited for him at the bottom of the stairs.

"Fast enough? Will we start rumors if we show up together?"

Phoebe giggled. "Everyone knows you don't have a generator. It'll be common knowledge you stayed at my house."

He was twenty-eight years old, yet he blushed. Oddly, Phoebe didn't. The sun shined on the blanket of snow. One path was plowed up the road.

As if reading his mind, Phoebe said, "Alex, probably. He plows out some friends like Jack."

The snow was attached to the trees and clung to the trunks and the branches. Robbie had forgotten how beautiful it was after living in the south for so long.

Phoebe hadn't let go of her anger. "Seriously, first Nash's twin got in trouble and everyone thought it was Nash."

"Not you."

"It was obvious. Now Morgan's sister is trying to convince the world that Morgan is a bitch."

"Not the world. Nash isn't that popular."

"You know what I mean. Two months ago, Morgan was a shadow, now she's a butterfly. I knew she wasn't close to her family, but this is wrong."

"Nash pays people to take care of PR stuff. Let them worry."

Robbie held the door for Phoebe. All their neighbors packed The Landing. Both Rick and Alice were behind the counter, but they talked as much as they worked. They waited their turn in line. Neighbors walked over to talk. Every conversation was about the storm. He observed the crowds laughing. They drank coffee, tea and cocoa while children ran around. It was chaotic, but he liked it a hundred times better than one of Beau's parties.