Hurricane

On New Year's Eve, the audience was going crazy, and the band hadn't taken the stage. Clyde looked at Nash. "You ready for this?"

It was a big deal to be the headliners for the big New Year's Eve celebration.

"Let's do it!"

He was stoked to be on stage instead of at a party. The great thing about Nashville was they could perform without the grueling tour. There was a full house and more new songs to introduce.

The heat, the lights, the sea of faces he couldn't see, the screams, the cheers, the voices singing along, and the music were all the reasons he loved his life. They had spent some time together rehearsing two of their new songs. In addition, he'd be singing about sand in his boots.

Rob had sent him a pic. He went surfing in the Atlantic, in the freezing ocean. If his friend hadn't gone home for a family Christmas, he would have suggested a trip to Hawaii. With a new job, it was safe to say Rob wouldn't have vacation time. He didn't want to go alone and the only other person he knew who surfed couldn't go.

Once on stage, he was lost in the music. Cameras were set up to send live feeds of the concert to the television coverage of the New Year's Eve show and Times Square ball drop. The first song was one of their new ones. He had written it with Scarlett. He didn't love it, but mostly because he didn't identify with it personally. Thankfully, Clyde took the lead, and Nash only sang the chorus.

Once again, Tyler went off on the drums like in the controversial recording. Clyde gripped the microphone tighter and Nash looked down, focusing on his chords. It was meant to focus on his guitar with complex chords, but the drums overpowered his music.

Next they played the fan favorite, 'Almost Heaven'. Nash sang, knowing a huge TV audience was watching. He hoped Savannah was. Hell, he even wanted his brother beside her. His momma already said she would be tuned in when they spoke earlier.

The rest of the concert went on without a hitch. They played until it was time for the countdown and fireworks. Nash was alone at midnight backstage with Clyde, who had his tongue down Tillie's throat. Lucky SOB. He didn't know where Tyler was, but he was about ready to deck him.

Nash grabbed some water, pissed, and changed his shirt. Then he went back up to see the fireworks. They had another set before sending throngs of people on their way.

They did all their backstage crap before the show and had a car waiting to get away before the lights came on. The audience would wait for an encore that wouldn't happen. He felt bad, but the streets would be clogged for hours. Pratt, their tour manager, would be up all night supervising the crew as they loaded up their instruments.

Every aspect was one more reminder they had made it. Once in the limo with Wesley, Tyler popped a cork.

Clyde said, "Ty, you're a prick."

"What? It's a New Year. We deserve to celebrate."

"I mean the crap you pulled on the drums."

"It was great. A national audience is going to be listening to us because we didn't sound too country."

Nash exploded. "We are country! If you want control over the music, then write an effing song!"

Wesley sat up. "We'll deal with it. Tonight, let's focus on an awesome show."

After some grumbles, they were silent. Nash was glad they dropped him off first. He and Clyde had backed down when the whole thing blew over with Cayla.

The New Year started like a hurricane, which kept getting upgraded to a higher category. January first - Cat 1.

Clyde called Wesley bright and early, because he had kids and didn't sleep late even after playing late. Nash took a long time to relax and fall asleep after being on stage.